Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

CYCLEN QUESTION

B

bookie

OK I BELIVE my tank is almost done cycling. can some one tell me what the readings should say

right now the stuff are

ammonia- 0
Nitrate- .25
Nitrite- 10

i dont think the nitrite is high enough

C

cynthia

Your ammonia should be zero, nitrite should be zero and your nitrate should be low.

The nitrite may go higher before it starts to go down.

D

dev

phase 1 of cycling is complete ammonia is 0, nitrite will rise now and then drop to 0. Just takes some time.

B

bookie

so when the cycling is done. ummm... what should the nitrate be. or what should it be under.

C

cynthia

bookie - I don't put anything in the tank until the nitrate reading is under 20 (but keep in mind I am anal about that sort of thing). Others have said that 40 isn't "that high".

It has been my experience that it usually only takes a few additional days for the nitrate to drop from 40 to like 15 or less. That is why I wait.

D

dev

bookie once ammonia and nitrite are 0 just do a water change the tank is cycled...

C

cynthia

Do not do a full water change. I don't think that is what dev meant to say but that is how it reads.

Change only 20% and test the nitrates if they are still high then change 10% more water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1