Plants

B

bookie

is it ok to put bambo in the tank with the axie. or the bambo will hurt it?

its okay as long as its smooth with no rough edges or pointed counterparts that could hurt them.

I wouldn't risk putting in plants from the wild because they can be covered in all types of parasites etc. I have gone through all kinds of plants and I have had the most success with "lucky bamboo" (because it is an extremely hardy aquatic plant), and java moss. Java moss is great because the axies sometimes hide in it and it requires little to no lighting. Just keep the plants simple but remember that axies love to run into and sit on their plants and axie tanks normally don't have much (or no) lighting because they need to be so cold. Well hope that helped a little lol.

Wow! That did help.
But what about plastic plants? Or will they get eaten?

plastic plants are just fine. I think a lot of the people, or most of the people here have Plastic Plants. I do! Love 'em. Found that real plants bring in all sorts of nasty things into the tank. Some are harmless, but Snails are one of many creatures that come in with live plants. I think Plastic Plants are best, or The dracaena also known as Lucky Bamboo. I had it in my tank for a while, but I moved it out because I wanted to change the set up, now it is in my kitchen growing out of a Frog shaped Pot.

Yea plastic plants are great as Rheann said. I used to use all plastic plants, but I just prefer live plants because of the natural setting it gives the tank and I think it helps keep a healthy nitrogen cycle going. Plastic vs Real Plants is all personal preference though no what anyone tells you lol.

Where would I be able to get Draceana. Would they sell it at a nursery or aquarium store?

Thanks for your help.

My children bought my lucky bamboo - ( Dracenta ) plants in the garden section in Kmart. I haven't seen it in any aquarium or pet stores here, however, I have seen alot of it in the nurseries during the past year.

I use plastic plants at water surface, plastic plants from reptiles like this two
41503.jpg
41504.jpg

But as for real plants there´s nothing better than Anubias, and Java moss, these plants don´t need a lot o care and, doesn´t need almost any light
anubia
41505.gif

41506.jpg
java moss

lol.gif
the 2nd plant at the top looks like a marijuana plant. I prefer silk plants ( as they are softer, with no sharp edges ) & real plants

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back