Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Lava Rocks

E

eric

Okay, so Home Depot has 5 kinds of (maybe) suitable stones for my axies to be. Black Lava, Red Lava, White Marble, Mexican River Stones and brown pond stones. So what do you guys think? The gray stones and the brown stones are big -there's no way any axie could eat them ever. They are also smooth - but I don't really like gray or brown. I do like the red lava rock - but I'm worried that it will either affect the pH or cut the axies. It's not really sharp but if they rub against the stones they might get raw - I'm not really sure how axies move about. The marble is neat because it's sparkly and even though it's small - it is heavy - I don't think it's going to be eaten. Let me know your thoughts - at very worst I will probably go with the Mexican river stones - the gray ones.
41144.jpg

C

cynthia

I think the lava rock is too sharp.

Have you tested the ph of your tap water so you know if you can afford to possibly raise the ph some with the substrate?

Big rocks are hard to clean around and under.

R

rheann

Eric has an under gravel filter, so he can't go with sand. Eric, since you like the reddish rocks, I believe I can try and locate some smooth reddish color rocks for you or a veriety. I also can try and find a mixture of different rocks. Actually, have you looked at petsmart in the fish department? They have some very nice large rocks that are small, yet too big for Axolotls to comsume and they come packaged together in a veriety of colors. They are very heavy though, can hardly lift a bag my self so I don't think I could ship them to you if your petsmart doesn't have them. I'll do an internet search and see what I can find for you. The ones I am talking about at petsmart are about the size of the white rock pictured, but they are smooth and round mostly. Very nice looking. I'll come back with some links and post if I can find anything similiar online. The bag of rocks also contains rocks of each color that you have pictured, so it really is very nice ^_^

C

cynthia

He doesn't have to use the under gravel filter. I have given lots of them away over the years because I reallllllllllly don't like them
happy.gif

R

rheann

Hey Eric, It would be better for you to get a different filter, as Cynthia sais she doesn't like them. I have heard few good or bad comments on them my self so I really don't know for sure on them. I my self i don't think I would ever use them. If you would like natural sand, try in the cement department at home Depot if you would like the natural sand. Can't use an under gravel filter, so I would suggest perhaps a Canister or something different, and getting a nifty little battery powered aquarium like the one I have. I got it at www.bigalsonline.com
If you are still interested in a red coloring for your bottom, I would get it at Petsmart. They have big bags of red sand there, but they get pricy. Home Depot sells 50 pound bags of sand for around $4 or so. I think 50 pounds of sand would be enough to cover the bottom of your tank, you might need to get one more bag. Hope this helps ^_^

C

cynthia

Disclaimer: I was only stating my personal opinion on under gravel filters. Some people really like them. I just don't happen to be one of those people
happy.gif

E

eric

I don't think shipping rocks is going to be cost effective - lol. Sadly my Petsmarts are lacking in the rock department! All they have is the small stones axies like to eat.

Cynthia - why don't you like under gravel filters? Are they just useless? Who likes them and why? I'd like to know before I go with them and use rocks - or go with sand and throw them away.

C

cynthia

Eric - These are my personal reasons/experiences with undergravel filters that make me, I dare say... "hate them". That doesn't mean you have to hate them too. You may have different experiences than myself. I have nothing against people who love their undergravel filters
happy.gif

- They fit to close to the glass to allow you to clean the glass completely to the bottom of the tank. If you can manage to get some sort of blade down that low the substrate scratches the glass from the pressure of pushing it out of the way. That area that remains uncleaned becomes all brown then eventually black and looks very ugly.

- All the poo and debris goes under the floor of the filter and builds up (this is how the filter "works"), in my experience eventually (mine took 5 years) you have to tear it out because it will become blocked. This is a disgusting mess I never want to experience again.

- Undergravel filters don't allow me to use the amount of carbon I want. They have those tiny cartridges that fit on top of the tubes. I want maximum carbon in my filter to remove odors and keep the water clear.

- The clear tubes grow algae in them and have to be removed and cleaned more than I care to deal with.

E

eric

EWWWWWWWW! That's....really gross.

But doesn't sand get all stirred up and make a big brown muddy mess of a tank?

Too. Many. Choices.... Must. Make. Decision.

R

rheann

Hey Eric, sand is great! Try a Canister filter and go with sand if you would like. Sand is the best choice with Axolotls. Hope you find a color you like if you choose sand ^_^

R

rheann

Monica found it during a conversation we were having on AOL. She just randomly typed a word in. It's about a rabbit who shoots a hunter because basically he doesn't want to get hunted. Sort of creepy to watch it but funny too lol. Thought I would provide people here some intertainment if anyone ever noticed the link and went to it lol.

R

rheann

Oh, the Elephant has nothing to do with anything. It's just there. The Rabbit shooting the hunter is a Metaphor.

J

joan

The rocks at petsmart are what I have. I've got a bag that I didn't use. And they might be large, but they're not so large that an axolotl couldn't swallow one. Mine have on many occasions picked one up and spit it back out.

Undergravels are more of a pain than they're worth. Like Cynthia said, all the poo gets trapped under it and makes a huge mess. In order to keep the poo out, you'd need a powerhead, which causes too much current. I just found them to be more of a hassle.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1