Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Filter cleaning?

B

bookie

how can i clean the filter w/o killing the bacteria from the filter. and my filter inst a regular filter...i got this filter at a japanese pet store.
41173.jpg

41174.jpg

L

lisa

That is a corner filter. It looks like you have filter wool in it at the moment(or is it a sponge), and is that small gravel in the bottom of it? Is there one or two? How large is your tank?

When cleaning filters never change all the media at once!!!! Change 1/2 media once every one to two months. Depending on how full tank is, how much filtration, and how diligent at sucking up old food you are.

My corner filters use three types of media. Activated carbon on the bottom, filter wool in the middle, and ceramic noodles on top(absolutely the best invention ever).

One month replace the filter wool. And rinse the ceramic noodles in TANK WATER.

Next month replace the carbon. And rinse the ceramic noodles in TANK WATER. New carbon needs to be left in TANK WATER for a few minutes, to let all the trapped oxygen escape, and rinse it of dust.

As long as one of the medias isn't cleaned it will retain enough bacteria to continue to nitrogen cycle in your tank.

Just a few tips: Keep your established filter media well away from fresh water while doing this. The last thing you want is to accidentally knock it into a sink, and destroy all your hard working bacteria.

Hope this answers all your questions.

B

bookie

i belive its filter wool. it dont feel spongey. yes there is small gravel on the bottom. i guess to keep it from floating. i only have one. well i belive my tank is probly about 2 1/2 gallons. i have to buy a new tank. im lucky hes probly only 1 month old. not that big. got time to get a new tank. well when i opened the filter. the whole wooly thing is one media i guess. so i have to take the whole thing out... i felt little rocks in the inside.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1