Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Roots

E

eric

The resin root system I was looking at as a decoration in my tank is now too small for the effect I wanted to create. If I obtained some real roots from an overturned tree - would the real wood mess the tank up, or would it be okay to use? I know some people use real driftwood....

R

rheann

Driftwood would be fine if you baked it I believe. I think you can bake it
sick.gif
not sure though. I have heard you can. Someone suggested bleach to me once, but this causes more problems than it's worth, or it did for me when I have tried it in the past for other creatures. www.petco.com Sells driftwood. Also,there are online places, not that I know I could post a link to, that sell bigger models of driftwood, and also make custom made fake driftwood. Try a google or a yahoo image search. I think you will be very successful in finding something lovely for your tank ^_^ Good luck!

E

eric

Thanks Rheann! Baking the wood is a good idea! I live in a swampy region of Texas - I think I should be able to find a good piece of wood to use from our marshes. I think I'm going to go out into the bayou with my kayak and see what I can find!

R

rheann

Hey Eric, that pic on your profile is outstanding! Did you draw it? Or did you find it? I would like a copy of it. I love Dragons, actually a bit of an obsession I have ^_^

E

eric

Actually, I photoshopped it. I don't have it whole because I built it for a logo for a rust cleaning product. But I can send you an image of the head and neck, the arms, the coils and the tail if you'd like. What format would be best for you? Will a JPEG work?

R

rheann

Thanks so much Eric! JPEg would be best for me. I would really appreciate it, thanks so much ^_^ My email is in my profile. ^^ And you did a great job photo shopping it! I wish I had photoshop, can't afford it right now
cry.gif
So expensive right now! The latest version that is.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1