Err... External Canister tanks good for axies?

V

vanessa

I've met two Axolotl breeders (one's a employee and other's a buyer but I met one then the next time I visited the shop, I met the second breeder) in a petshop just as I was looking for some bigger pumps and choosing a powerhead. I mentioned External Canisters and he said they're not good for axolotls because of water movements then I told him that I was told to get a Fluval (which is incredibly hard for me to find) because you people use them and he said 'Don't buy one anyway.' I'm confused now.

Hey Vanessa, I am trying to get a Canister Filter. Here is a link to the one that I will be purchasing. http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22033;category_id=1711;pcid1=2885;pcid2=
I don't think there is anything wrong with Canister filters. I was even recommend on this site to get one. If you do a search on the internet, you might find a really good one for a good price. Also, I will be getting a cooling system for my Axies from the same company because it is very difficult now to keep the water cool in the hot weather that has occured. Actually Vanessa, I walked into the pet store here called Pets mart just recently asking them if they had any good Canister filters that they could recommend. Even though I saw lots of Canister filters, the worker I talked to didn't have a clue to what I was talking about! It was so stupid! A lot of really neat people here will give you good advice. If it wasn't for the nice people of this forum I wouldn't have had a clue how to cycle my tank, or how to properly take care of my axolotls. I hope others will be able to help you with the Canister filters. Any filter that will do a good job of cleaning is a good filter I should say, and I think that Canister filters are that way
happy.gif

As long as you can baffle the outlet on the filter to reduce the current in the tank, a canister is one of the best filters you can buy.
Clever positioning of the outlet hose can also reduce the amount of current created.

Vanessa - You do not want a powerhead they put out way too much current.

An external canister filter suitable for the size of tank you have should work fine if you baffle the output so there is little to no current.

You may not be able to find fluval canister filters there, but I'm sure there are other brands available that are fine.

It is nice to see a pet store employee who knows axolotls do not do well with current however
happy.gif

What size is your tank? That would decide the size of external canister filter you would want to get.

(Message edited by cynorita on July 19, 2005)

I'm getting a 3-4ft tank soon so I could have up to 5 axies. How can I exactly baffle the outlets to reduce current? I'll tell mum I'm NOT getting a powerhead (got Crushed Coral and the pH's no good yet, it keeps going to Alkaline!
angry.gif
mum washed it in tap water, grr!).
I saw this whopping HUGE Canister filter at a petshop which looks like it can filter a 15ft tank!
Hmmm... a spraybar... I'll look for that. I've found Fluval on eQuarium.com.au.

(Message edited by Dragoon on July 20, 2005)

Cynthia, that little bottle idea is so very clever! Never would have thought of that my self, great job
happy.gif

Hey Cynthia, I am getting my Filter soon. the one in this link. http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22033 So all I need is a little orange medicine bottle or something similiar with holes drilled in it to stop the water from gushing too quickly? I have questions about this. Does this Canister filter in the above link come with all of the tubing? It shows a package of tubing with it, but I have no idea. Do I need to get other items, such as add-ons or attatchments?

No Rheann, the Rena Filstar's come with spraybars. (That's what I'm getting, by the way, as soon as next payday rolls around). The canister filter comes with everything you need to start filtering. The intake and output tubes are seperate, so you can intake from one side of the tank, and output on the other (if you don't use the spraybar).

Rheann - I received my Rena Filstar filter yesterday. It does come with a spray bar so as Joan said you dont need to mess with the pill bottle idea.

The filter comes with everything you need to set it up.

I will be hooking it up tonight (I hope).

Vanessa - What are the height and width of the tank you are getting? A 3 to 4 foot tank could be anything from 20 to 60 + gallons.

thanks Joan, Thanks Cynthia
happy.gif
I did a yahoo search on spray barbs because I wasn't quite sure how they work. Now I can just see from the pictures lol. Thanks guys! I can't wait to get it. Monica found me this little cute compact item. http://www.coralreefsupply.com/detail.php?table=chillers_cur&item=CUR_PRIME_10 We're searching around for coolers. She is facing the same heat wave! I am thinking about getting this one. if it doesn't work, I can return it, and my aquarium vacuum that I ordered last night is on it's way! I am very happy
happy.gif
hope it works, because if it does, then I can wait a bit longer to to get the Rena. Have some important bills to pay off, so my neck two major purchases for my Axolotls will be the Rena Canister filter, and the cooling system. After that, it's going to be a tank upgrade, but that major purchase wont happen for a while lol.

Cynthia, do you have a link to where you purchased your Rena Filstar filter which comes with the spray bar?

I don't use gallons here but I think it's like... 40-50 Litres (I'm an aussie). I'll tell mum that I might have to remove the crushed corals (it's dead) and yesterday I had a fight with my dad about the powerheads at the Pet Shop when I found a adjustable large Air Pump which ends up with me winning by buying the pump! He doesn't understand axolotls!!

Vanessa - I know the crushed coral is dead, but it is also sharp and it raises the ph of your water.

I've taken quite a lot out now but because it had mixed with my grey gravel... I have to wait until I have money to get more normal gravel.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back