Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bamboo

C

claire

hello everyone. just a lil query. ive seen people with bamboo in their axie tanks and i REALLY like the look of it in a tank. is it safe for axies? and when it gets too long and grows out the tank what do you with bamboo do to trim it?

thanks
happy.gif

G

grant

I have had bamboo in my tanks for a few months now and it seems to be great. It doesnt leave a mess and is extremely hardy and doesnt require lighting. If you get the "lucky" bamboo stalks (they aren't really even bamboo lol) the stalk itself wont grow only the leave. They grow pretty slow so trimming isnt a big deal. Mine has been working out wonderfully.

R

rheann

Same Experience here, they work great. I took them out after a while to change the tank around.

A

anne-marie

Are they in the pots or do you just plant in the sand? I'm curious about bamboo too, y'see.
wacko.gif
If they're in pots, are they plastic or ceramic?

R

rheann

Hi Anne, the bamboo can actually just be placed in the sand. the Bamboo, or Dracaena, usually doesn't come planted in soil when you get it from the store. I have never seen it planted before when they sell it like this. It usually comes in cut stalks which are cut at the top so that the stalk won't grow anymore, but the buds will grow and sprout out. It thrives in warmer temperatures, but it also does just fine in cooler temps. What I did was I tied it together with a rubber band, and mounted it in the sand with some rocks around it to keep it in place. Eventually the roots will dig deep into the sand and hold it in place, the rubber bands will rot away, but the rocks should stay in place, or the bamboo might not be sturdy enough in Sand. Didn't advance that far before I decided to change the set-up to other plants. Plastic pots work great, ceramic work great too.

C

claire

thanks everyone! glad its ok to put in my tank when i get it! ill definately be getting 1 or 2 bits to put in my tank! got my sand already so should be fun setting the tank up once i get it!
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1