Coolers

andrew

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Andy Baker
Where can i get one of these coolers for a tank? Also will a undergravel filter be enough? Thanks!

coolers are upwards of $1000, so unless you REALLY need one, if your tank gets into the upper 70-80'sF regularly, it's not worth it. There have been recent posts about homemade water chillers that will drop your temperature a few degrees. An undergravel filter will probably not be enough. It depends on how big your tank is, how many animals you have, how often you clean the gravel. Unless you've got a fairly powerful powerhead on it, gunk tends to collect under the UG filter instead of being sucked up. So you have to take up the plates and clean under them on occasion. I just use one undergravel plate (with 2 uplift tubes) on one side of my tank, with an overhang filter on the other side. I have a 40 gallon tank with 3 axolotls.

Andy - check out www.bigalsonline.com
they have some chillers starting at $399 (last time I checked) but of course cost will depend on how big your tank is and how cool you need it to be.

Also for a home made cooling idea Kim posted one up in general discussion. See her post at

http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/8/35391.html?1115231090

I am not a big fan of the under gravel filters. I do like external canister filters. I have several fluval 204 filters and I really like them.
Of course for an axolotl tank they have a baffle but that is easily done with a pill bottle drilled full of holes placed over the water return.

Guys, thanks for your input, i am going to buy a fluval 104 aswell i think.
Also Im big into computer modding, and i had a thought, why dont you guys use computer liquid cooling systems? I seriously doubt it will do a whole ton but it might make a serious diffrence, computers are hot and water coolers can take the cpu temperature down as much as 30 degrees celcius... There are some really nice ones out there, and there less than half the cost those coolers... All you would need is the resivour w/ heatsinks (to cool the returning liquid) and some pipe to travel thru the tank then go back, oh and a pump duh lol. Also i think you would need a liquid with a cooler room tempeture than just water, freon comes but thats not practical lol, anyway just a thought, i dont know if a computer Liquid coolant system will be able to cool something that is already that cold.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back