Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Another snail question

K

karisha

I have had a tank set up for over a month now, waiting for an axy to arrive. I just ordered an axy online, went and looked at my tank and saw several small snails in it. They are the small ones from plants. Should I change out the water completely and start over with only a few days until he/she arrives, or should I leave it the way it is? Its only a 10 gallon tank.

Also, while reading other messages about this I noticed several people suggesting that you just smash them while in the tank to kill them. A pet store owner here told me thats a big no no, as you are smashing their egg sack out, therefore helping it reproduce if fertile. Don't know if this is true or not, but thought Id let you guys know
happy.gif

K

kim

I have snails in my tank from plants I brought as well.. I was really worried about them to begin with as I though they would hurt my axies, and some do! (not sure of which ones tho).

I would say keep the water you have in the tank as it would have finished or nearly completed its cycle.. you dont really want to cyle a tank with axies in it.

What I do with the snails is just keep an eye on them and just watch how big they get. I only let them get to about 5-10mm and then take them out. I am lucky to have 2 tropical fish tanks so I put them in there (I put one in there about 4months ago and it now about the size of a 10p coin!).

I dont know about the smashing of them and letting the eggs out, its possible I think. If you can and dont have a fish tank to put them in, I would take them out and flush them maybe? or stick them outside they will soon die or get eaten..

Not sure of a nice way to get rid of them, if anyone else does please tell me!

Good luck with your axie! And could you tell me which online store you got he/she got him from? Private message me the details.

Oh and we like pictures on here so as soon as you get he/she we want to see ASAP!

dot

Reaction score
Karisha -

I've heard horror stories about snails from other axie-keepers. Some said that snails infested their tanks and were a pain to get rid of, while others had seen snails sucking the slimecoat off of their animals.

I bought some anacharis from a pet store a while back for my axolotls, but soon after was finding little worms, so I removed them and put them in a separate fish bowl, where not only more worms popped up, but a snail and a leech as well. Luckily I avoided an infestation of snails and other wormy things in my tank before it became a problem. I've since avoided live plants.

My suggestion would be to remove the snails. Also, remove the plants and maybe rinse them off very well and then inspect them in a separate tank for a bit if you're going to put them back in with your axolotl. I'm not altogether certain that would work to remove infestations, so any info from more seasoned axie-keepers would be lovely.

Good luck!

PS - I'm interested too - Where'd you get your axie? I got two from (Everyone begin groaning ..... now.
happy.gif
) Ward's Natural Science at the end of July and they're a almost 6 and a half inches already.

K

karisha

Thats exactly where I got mine from, Wards. I had heard that you could get them from Indiana University even if you were not a teacher, but they would not sell any to me. And another source fell through, so...I gave up looking after 2 months straight, so I ordered one from them yesterday.

I haven't received an email from them telling me when it ships though. How long did it take for you to get yours?

dot

Reaction score
They generally ship 2-day USPS. I don't have the e-mail from them on this computer, but I do remember getting an order confirmation e-mail, but not one stating that the order was shipped.

I ordered over a weekend and figured that they wouldn't process the order until that Monday, which they did, and by late Wednesday, I got a little worried and I called them to check on it. The woman I spoke to was very helpful and extremely nice. So if you're worried, call them and check on the status of your order.

C

cynthia

What colors were the ones you got from wards?
I went to their site and it didn't look like they let you select a color.

-Cynthia

K

karisha

They don't have a specific spot where you choose. I called customer service though, and they said in the notes section while ordering you can tell them which type you would prefer, and if they are available they will send one to you.

I opted out on doing this. I have three little boys and knew what sex and color they would be, so I thought for my last child (my axy) I would like a surprise.
smile.gif
I have not received it yet. Should be getting it tomorrow. Ill let you know how it turns out.

B

benjamin

I had a great pond snail in my Cynops orientalis tank once. Last winter most of my newts dissapeared and the snail had grown three inches from mouth to tail tip, I could tell from its shell that it was all new growth. Though I don't hold it responsible for the death of my newts, I do hold it responsible for cleaning up the mess. I released it into my garden pond where it still lives.

O

optical

To get rid of snails, place the axy in a temporary tank and replace him with a couple of baby koi carp for a couple of days. They should eat all the snails large enough for their mouth very fast. then put the carp in the lake somewhere.

S

sharon

Gold fish work equally well. As a side note... I scooped all the snails from my tropical fish and dropped them in my salamanders pond.. they ate all the snails.. anyone else ever see that??

C

cynthia

Opitcal - I don't think any non native fish should be dumped into a lake anywhere.

B

brian

I agree with you Cynthia. Never, EVER intentionally dump any non-native species into your local area. It will disrupt the local ecosystem, and could even destroy it completely. There are a lot better ways to get rid of unwanted animals. Most pet stores will take them, there are classified ads, etc. Worst comes to worst, euthanize them. DON NOT RELEASE THEM INTO THE WILD!

Now, about the snails. Koi and goldfish will work, but Clown Loaches will work even faster. 2 or 3 Clown Loaches, and I can guarantee you that all snails will be gone in 2 or 3 days. And I don't know about the rest of you, but my axies just eat the snails.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!