Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Live Plants

L

lisa

Just wanted to ask if people use fertilisers in their planted tanks with axies?
My tank has been planted for about 2 months now, everythings going well, but the plants have slowed down a bit and I'm thinking I may need to add some fertiliser.
Anyone had any problems?

C

claire

Do your plants have a good light source? I dont have live plants in my tank so sorry i cant help.

B

brian

Try adding a CO2 reactor. Hagen makes a really affordable one. Most of the time, it's either light or CO2 that retards plant growth.

L

lisa

This is in my 3ft tank by the way, the plants are all low light. And indeed I do have a light, just a single tube, triphosphorus (or however you spell it). On about 8 - 12 hours a day.
I've been slowly getting the axies used to the light, so it hasn't been on for the full 12 hours each day. And the plants came from a large barrel without any light or fertiliser or co2.
I think I'll let them go for another couple of weeks, see how they do.
I'd still like to know if anyone else knows if its safe to use fertiliser with axies?

B

brian

I've been using it at a low dosage (about half) for the last 2 weeks, with no ill effects. There is some concern about phosphates, which is why I've been using it at half doseage. I don't think there's anything else in most fertilizers to hurt them, unless the concentration climbs too high. Just make sure you keep an eye on the phosphate and iron levels, and they should be fine.

cody

Reaction score
Bunny rabbit droppings put in near the roots is what a lot of people use ive asked heaps of people abot it introducing disease but all i asked neva had a problem

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!