Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gravel/sand for babies

M

miriam

I have a baby axolotl in a glass bowl. I know that the glass is slippery,and as he's starting to use his new arms (and is growing legs), it's probably frustrating for him.

The problem is that he's so small that I think if I put sand on the floor, he'd eat mainly end up eating sand rather than the frozen brine shrimp I've been feeding. I think the brine shrimp would probably get lost among rocks or gravel, and he seems too small for any floating foods or getting hand-fed (food he can eat is simply to small for me to hold while leaving him space to grab onto it).

Any ideas for what I can do? I put a few big-ish flatish rocks on the bottom, but he hides near them instead of walking on them.

C

cynthia

Miriam - small larvae are easier to maintain with out sand, rocks or gravel. They do ok without it.

To help it feel safe you might want to add a floating sprig or two of hornwort plant, or something similar so it has a little cover.

M

miriam

When do they usually start needing gravel or sand? I feel bad when I see him trying to walk around on the bottom of the tank.

C

cynthia

Some people never keep them on substrate, they are always kept on bare floors. So I can't really say "they need substrate".

I know I feel more comfortable watching mine when they "appear happy". When mine were in their own individual containers substrate was out of the question because they needed the water changed everyday.

When they were large enough to put in the aquarium together then they got substrate. They were about 5 to 6 inches long.

S

steve

Hi miriam,
I think that with most if not all baby amphibians that it is best to keep them in a basic enclosure, with a baby axie i would use nothing more than a piece of plant pot and a small plant to make it feel safe and secure. As cynthia has said, there is no need for substrate at all and not even bother with filtration until the animal is more grown on just remember to do frequent water changes. i know this does not look very attractive but its easier for you while the axie is going through its different stages

M

miriam

I'm not concerned about it being attractive--it's just that the bowl I have is smooth glass and I watch my axie try to walk around and he ends up sliding more than walking, so I thought that might be stressful for him.

cody

Reaction score
I found they grip pretty well to hard plastic line a small tank with perspecs i cut a chunk out of a plastic chopping board

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1