Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Terracotta pots

C

cynthia

For those of you who have "real" terracotta pots in your axolotl tank;

did you soak them for a while before you put them in the tank? Do they cloud the water? Has anyone cut the end of one out so it is a tube rather than a pot?

J

joan

No, no, and no. Although I have toyed with cutting it down the middle to make a 'lower' cave instead of just setting the whole pot in there.

B

brian

I've used them for breeding cichlids before, and never had any problems. Just pop them in the tank.

S

sharn

hey, i bought a terracotter pipe for my axies from a special pet place. they love it and it has a holwin the side so they can play around. it didnt do anything to my water. i find it gets coverd in algae though
sad.gif

J

jennifer

I find that some of these pots do release some yellowish color into the water when they are first soaked. So I do soak them for a day or two before putting them in the tank.

C

cynthia

Thanks for the info everyone
happy.gif

I tried to cut one of the pots in half long ways... ended up half cut and half broken. But it looks really nice covered in aquarium gravel.

I used a thick bead of silicone along the broken edges and stuck smooth gravel to them, so there are no sharp edges at all.

I will post a picture once I have it in the tank.

colin

Reaction score
you can use a bit of sand paper to get rid of sharp edges, works great and not so messy...

C

cynthia

The sand paper is a good idea, but I was already making a mess.

Here is my broken pot covered in gravel.

33577.gif

S

sharn

neat! makes me want to get all arty (bad idea!!) id make a HUGE mess hahaha. it looks awesome cynthia

C

cynthia

Thanks Sharn. Kim inspired me to make a mess with her rock covered cave.
happy.gif

I am working on their PVC caves now. Trying to make them look not so much like PVC fittings.

J

jarred

Wow Cynthia, that looks really good. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of it in your tank.

K

kim

HA HA Cythina!

Looks great! I was thinking of covering my axies pot in sand but yes way tooo much mess!

Thinking of what else i can do
biggrin.gif

C

cynthia

kim - I found a web page a few weeks ago (do you think I can find it now? No!) on DIY caves for fish. It was using pvc 4" pipe and he made upright caves with dividers for cichlids. They looked way cool.

Anyway he used aquarium gravel on parts of them and sand on others. When he applied the sand he covered the PVC with silicon where he wanted the sand attached then rolled the PVC in a plastic container that was half full of sand. It really didn't look like it made "a big mess".

I may try it on my 2nd pot. I am now however waiting for more black silicone to arrive. I have resorted to ordering the tubes that are used in caulking guns.

K

kim

LOL Cynthia.. Thats alot of silicone!..

Im thinking of leaving it for while as if i keep making them things they will have no where to swim :D

C

cynthia

hahaha true it is a lot of silicone... I have just the 2 pipe fittings for the axolotl tank, so they will still have room to swim.

But I have 6 other aquariums with fish and frogs in that I can decor for too (sad and sick I know, maybe I should just get cable TV instead. lol ).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1