Which tank size is better...

J

jenny

i am getting a new tank because i want one that isnt so high.

i have seen one that is 48 long and 15 wide or 60 long and 12 wide (both ish same price) but which would be better because they both have same area space? if there is no difference then i think i would rather have 48 inch one just to save space but if it means i can get a couple more axies in a 60 then i want that one!

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>jenny gibbes wrote on Friday, 14 January, 2005 - 20:26 :</font>

"which would be better because they both have same area space? if there is no difference then i think i would rather have 48 inch one just to save space but if it means i can get a couple more axies in a 60 then i want that one!"<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
What would make you think that you would be able to keep more Axolotls in the 60" tank than the 48" tank when you have already pointed out that both tanks have the same area? Personally I would opt for the 48" x 15" as the extra width gives the Axolotl more manoeuvrable space without compromising on overall area.

because (to me) extra length is always better because its like they can swim/walk for longer.

if i had a choice in bedrooms id rather go for one that is longer but minus a metre or so off the width because it seems bigger.

because also if it was between 48 by 18 or 60 by 15 then id def say 60 is better even though its still the same are.

(Message edited by jennyg on January 16, 2005)

They should both be about the same. If the one is higher than the other I would say the taller tank would hold more axolotls. Base dimensions or foot print are most important. Extra height should help with extra volume. Extra volume normally means easier to manage system and better water quality.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back