Axos and garden pond

D

dlw

we just installed a pond & waterfall it is 8 foot by 11 foot a shelf 18 inches wide that is 10 inches deep and a area that is 2 foot deep that is about 4 foot by 7 foot it will have river rock in the bottom and lots of bigger rock in it also i would like fish in it but would also like to have a couple axos . is this possible?

My two leucistics were originally kept in a pond by their previous owner. I took them when they were two years old and coming out of this last winter. Arwen the female was very thin and has been slow to get eating in the same way as the others. So as for putting in pond they will survive but I think they need more attention than just leaving them to get on with it.

As for mixing with fish I would think that was kind of risky. Small fish = food for axies. Anything over a certain size will probably want to nibble their gills. So lots of hidy places and think carefully before trying it. Personally I don't think I would mix them.

On waterfall: just remember axies don't like too much motion in the water; they like it fairly still. If you do put in pond and they breed in spring, as they surely will, you might want to fish out the adults or the eggs and hold separate for a while.

(Message edited by mikki on August 01, 2004)

wot tempreture will it be where you are and slos i would not mix fish with them the only fish i would put in is little ones for the axos to eat

I'm sure you wouldn't let it happen - well a responsable pet owner wouldn't. But my sister-in-law has 4 adult axi's in an outside pond, it has no covering and she lets the dogs runthrough it and play in it, it's under a tree and all the gumleavges fall in it. The water is soooooo green and dirty, she has no airation or filtration (a waterfall would provide adiquate airation) there is only one small plant and a single log for them to hide in/under. Every so offten she drops a couple of pelets into the pond - but not enough food for all 4 adults.

AND SHE WONDERS WHY THEY WON'T BREED!!!!

There isn't anything I can do really, except not give her any of my babies.

If you put them in a pond - make sure it is covered, because anything could get them like, birds, cats, dogs etc....

If you put fish in there, put somthing small like guppies - and these will be a good food source. However just be careful, as said in a previous post, if the fish are too big or an agressive type, they will nibble on the axi's feathery bits.

I can't make the final decission for you, but just think about it before you do anything, and dont be affraid to ask any questions.

GOOD LUCK - what ever you do!

I don't think your pond is deep enough for axolotls. At only 2 foot deep at the deepest part it will warm up pretty much on hot days. Their may be no cool spots left for the axolotls to seek refuge. I've kept axolotls in a heated tub outside over the winter and they did o.k. The tub was only heated with a cattle trough heater to keep from freezing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back