Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Just recent stuff!

J

jenny

Hi everyone!!! ive not been on for a while, bits of my computer have been scattered around my room for the past few days.

my mum finally got the chest of drawers sorted for me to put my fish tank on. so i cleaned it out and sorted everything and it looked well good. and got a new computer desk which is why comp was around my room etc then i woke up the next morning and the fish tank was leaking. so i had to empty it and take it back to pets at home. and then i went to pier aquatics and have got a custom fish tank made! but i have to wait 2 weeks! i got it to the measurements i want *PLUS* s shelf half way through and half way up the side cos i was thinking if they do ever have babies then i can put a tank divider on there and keep them in there and not have to do water changes all the time etc. plus when they arent having babies they can go on there and its just extra space (so can get an extra axy hehe)

as i only have 2 tanks of a goodish size to keep them in for 2 weeks and 4 axys my boyfriend has taken oswold and bought him a 2 foot tank to look after him for 2 weeks and hes fallen in love wi him so i think hes gonna keep him now!

i started feeding them meal worms. elizabeth and fijibob like them but harriet doesnt! which is suprising cos she eats the most out of them all. when i first put a meal worm in liz didnt see it and it started to drown infront of me it was horrible!!

but theyre horrible things i dont like them and i cant touch them either so its a bit of a struggle getting them out of the tub theyre in!

my baby guppies have gotten bigger but still only lil! theyve got their own lil tank as well! im keeping them as pets!

the gravel cleaner i bought which is like an electric one. the plastic pipe thing is the same diameter as a normal hose so i put that in there instead and when i needed to empty all the water from my tank that worked really weel cos i juist ran the hose from my room upstairs to the garden!

im thinking of getting an under water gravel thing that u put at the bottom of ur tank...how do they work?like where does the gunk go?

i want sand as well for my tank but ive not seen it in any pet shops is there any uk sites u can order it from? coloured sand as well...green sand....and red sand! thatd look cool!

ok i think ive written enough now!!

dot

Reaction score
Um ... sand will clog an undergravel filter, but you knew that. Aside from that, I'm not sure how well colored/dyed sand would work unless you're 100% positive that the dyes will not bleed into the water and are not harmful to caudates.

And also, if you don't like touching mealworms, then don't feed them to your axolotls. We've all said that they're not a good food source, as axies cannot break down their shells, and the discarded shells clog up the filter. There are heaps of other food sources available to feed axies; the most nutritional being earthworms. If you don't like touching earthworms either, you can buy a pair of feeding forceps (tweezers) from any pet store and feed them that way.

M

mik

Lol, I think Jenny had a fair few cups of coffee before that outburst.

I tried sand with an undergravel sometime ago and it was a failure. Particles are just too close together to allow detritus to work there way through.

Some axies don't like mealworms 'cos the thorax and legs are hard and scratchy in their mouths. You'll find that thy get spat out if this is the case.

Tweezers or chopstix are great for handling unpleasant foods. I like stix they are easier to dig through tub of soil when routing out the worms.

J

jenny

didnt know bout undergravel filter. and didnt know bout meal worms. sorry

M

mik

lol don't need to be sorry.

Doesn't mean don't try mealworms some axies love them but bearing in mind what Dot says about nutrition just don't ffed to often. It's a bit of a beggar cos a tub of mealworms is a couple of quid and you get loads. Most will pupate before you get to feed them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1