Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Testing oh so testing!

J

julia

I test my tank regularly for ammonia and this has always been clear, then looking through various sites realised that I should test my water for nitrates/nitites. So I bought a 5 in one tetra test dip stick style..when I tested the aquarium it appears I have dangerously high levels of both. so the last few weeks I've been doing daily 20-25 % water changes and the readings have not altered at all. In my enthusiasm I also tested all our water sauces..taps/water butts and filtered water..the warm tap I hopes would be good for the emergency use but that had noticeble level in it too ( figured as this water is held in a loft tank it would be chlorine free). My question is just how important is the nitrite/nitrate testing..a couple of sites said the most important one to worry about is ammonia.. So before I rush out yet again I'll risk looking stupid and ask!

D

denise

i dont know how true this is but i have never heard of a 5 in 1 test strip and i didnt think it was possible to be able to test for all. i personally would not trust a 5 in 1 but this is just my opionon, maybe the fact that everything you test comes up with the same result gives you your answer. nitrites and nitrates can be harmful with high readings just as harmful as ammonia. has you tank been established long and did you cycle before adding anything

K

kaysie

Julia, the test strips are notoriously inaccurate. They can go 'bad' quite quickly, and aren't usually good to use.

I would take a sample of your water to the local fish shop and see if they'll test it for you (most will for free). Then I'd invest in a high quality test kit, with either drops or dry-tab style testing. These are much more accurate.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
My tank has settled down now, the two tests nitrate and nitrite both read very high and the ammonia was nil. Its been great now as I feed my two live fresh water shrimp, but under 2 hours they had died..now the shrimp are feeling completely at home and those escaping being eaten seem fit and healthy. I am still doing the daily 20/30 % water change till the readings are back down...but will use the shrimp as my warning..they die theres a problem! Many thanks once again for the help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!