Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Independence day!!!!

A

aaron

Worms have attacked my fish tank! and there are also
things with tiny bubbles on them (most likely eggs).

They are small white worms (kinda look like noodles) but they don't seem to do any harm.

but how do i get rid of them?

J

jay

If they are tiny white worms listen up. These guy's live in your tap water so what you do a water change . If they don't have water they don't breath. Just do 20% changes over a few days and they should be gone.

Try this buddy, it worked for me

A

aaron

Thanks
happy.gif
. But i'm moving soon and the fish tank will be dry for about 20 mins. will that kill them too?

J

jay

Yeah as long as they don't have water the little buggers will sufficate
happy.gif

K

kaysie

Jay, I'd like to know your basis of 'worms living in tap water' and how doing a water change would kill them if they are indeed living in the tap water.

Aaron, having worms of various sorts and sizes is normal. The things with 'bubbles' are probably cyclops. However, it's usually a sign of poor husbandry. The worms are feeding off something in your tank, such as feces or leftover food. Do a thorough siphoning of your substrate, and a 30% water change, and keep up on regular water changes (20% a week) to keep the nutrient content in the water low.

J

jay

I had a problem with them last year and someone told me to do it and that they came from my tap water. I did the changes and they all died.

K

kaysie

Jay, there are thousands of species of 'worms', and I highly doubt that any of them come from your tap water. Tap water goes through stringent testing to be safe for human consumption. This means no worms.

It makes no sense to do water changes with tap water if worms come from tap water.

Creepy-crawly critters are a normal part of tank fauna.

C

cameron

Actually some do Kaysie!
shocked.gif
One out of every four people have little white worms in there body eating. People get them from drinking tap water and walking barefoot in ponds and lakes. Last week I learned in science class how water is cleaned and I bet that they can work their way around the sludge and bacteria and into your facet.

ryan

Reaction score
I think I have these same worms in my tank, they seem harmless to my salamander, the fish I have in there eat them.

I wonder if they would be a good food item for salamander larvae? Hmmm...

kapo

Reaction score
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Kaysie Cox on Thursday 19 April 2007 - 00:48 (#POST129013):</font>

It makes no sense to do water changes with tap water if worms come from tap water.
<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> I agree with Joan, if the worms were in the tapwater then the waterchanges wouldn't have killed them off, they should have flourished if that was the case.

K

kaysie

Cameron, with all respect: you're 13. I worked in a water treatment center. I'm quite aware of how it works. There are not worms in the tap water.

In fact, in most municipalities, there's NOTHING in the tap water. Occasionally there is residual fluorine, which is put there to promote healthy teeth, but other than that, even most chlorine (not all, however) is removed from the process. It was my job to make sure the water was safe for the City of Lansing to drink.

(Message edited by Joan on April 19, 2007)

C

cameron

Okay. I just know that when some people run their facets they have gotten worms and I'm not sure how but I saw a show where someone choked on one.

K

kaysie

Cameron, not everything you see on TV is accurate, or even close. If someone was getting a glass of water, why did they not see a worm big enough to choke on in the water? That's one of the most preposterous things I've ever heard.

Even if worms had come from the drinking faucet, they are not in the water. Again, even this is highly doubtable. The worms would have to be laid, hatch, and grow to a noticeable size between uses of the faucet.

Worms that live in tanks are usually larvae of insects, which lay eggs on the surface of the water. I had a bad problem with glassworms (gnat larvae) for some time. But having swimmy worms and crawly copepods is normal and healthy for a tank.

J

jay

Well lets get of the worms in water topic and try to help Aaron now. The worms in my tank were very small. They looked like little white things that you had to really look at to see them move. I fixed them after one 20% change. If these are the worms in you tank then try out my method and see what happens. Also it may take more then more then one change for you cause i had a 28L tank then.

Hope this helps you Aaron

A

aaron

Dear kaysie.

i rushed down to the pet store to get a siphon , and i found it really difficult to work , not only it took me 30mins to use it, it also wasn't effective on cleaning my fish tank. i just found it full of debris floating everywhere! can someone please tell me how to fix this?

K

kaysie

Did you use the siphon? Its purpose is to suck out water and debris. You have to siphon the water into a bucket, and replace it with fresh water.

A

aaron

Yes i did use the siphon! It was so difficult to use! i had to suck the hose with my mouth!! Can anyone please tell me a easier way to do this!?
sad.gif

by the way... can i use small neon fishes? or can i just use snails for eating the poo and stuff.

(Message edited by mrpetrock on April 20, 2007)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1