Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Max temp?

C

connor

What is the real,in reality, highest temp they can cope in. I hear people in australlias tank waters are at 28 degres celcius!
In my tank,thats cycling,its around 21 degres,but yesterday it was 24!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I added ice packs and stuff and it deducted by a degree a time,which wouldnt stress the animal.
SO if it gets hot like that again,ill just result to ice yeah? People in my area have there tanks at 22 and they say their alright ,but i just want to find out the maximum!

Thanks

C

connor

Oh yeah,if it was to be around 22 all year round,which it wont, will i have to adjust its feeding,more if its hot, less if cooler?

K

kaysie

The highest you should allow your tank to be, on extreme days, is 24C. Ideally your tank should be less than 20C.

Yes, you need to feed more when it's warm.

J

jay

I'm Australian and my tank is usually 28-30 degrees but lately for the past week and a half its been 24-25 which is good for me. When my tank was 30 my oldest axie Shifter didn't seem stressed at all but i still cooled the water down with frozen bottles.

So i guess my point is they can live up to 30 but it isn't ideal as this can cause fungus from stress etc. For me though this has never happened but i still search the cheapest tanks chiller. *sigh*

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1