Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Food?

A

angharad

I've been reading loads of these posts about food and things lately and I'm worried im not giving my axi the right stuff. Every night (cos he's only about 6 months) I give him a few pieces of liver or kidney. When i first got him i fed him on dead worms and dried bloodworms (bit squeamish so no live ones) and he was never really bothered about them.
When i moved him into his new bigger tank he went off his food so I tried him with liver and he ate it straight away. I have been feeding him on this for months now and he's grown loads
happy.gif
*happy* and he loves the stuff. Now I've read all this stuff about how worms are best for them etc but he never really liked them and always either spat them out or took ages to eat them. Is liver ok or could this be bad for his health?

S

shelly

i feed mine on liver a couple times a week. you might try him on frozen blood worm. it comes out in a little cube which i stick under a large stone for 5 mins so it defrosts in a pile. you could even pinch a bit and drop it in front of him so that he gets a taste for it. i also feed mine some fish if im eating any for my dinner. just stay away from pig liver as i have been told its bad for them.

K

kaysie

Liver can have problems as a good staple food, as it tends to concentrate certain vitamins and minerals.

Live earthworms are what most people use a staple, but frozen or live bloodworms are adequate too.

R

row

I was a little squeamish about feeding live worms too, but since Miles was sooooo skinny, I got over that pretty quickly! And he is getting used to it too. He spits them out and tries again, chases them around until he gets it down. I just keep telling myself that it is what he would be doing in the wild so its better for him (and I say lots of apologies to the wormy too!). I just find the ones that are a good size for him to fit in his mouth in one go so I don't have to chop the poor little guys up!
I'm converted! Much easier than frozen bloodworms too as Miles likes to shake them around and spread them all over the tank! I have some for backup though in case I can't find any worms...
happy.gif

S

shelly

fraggle would starve if he had to hunt/chase his food. lol

A

angharad

lol yeh max is pretty hopeless , not to mention lazy. I once tried him with frozen bloodworms and put them in a cup to stop it floating all over the place. I had to leave him for a day I think and when I got back the cup had been moved and it looked as if he'd tried to eat some but not much had gone. I'll try him with it again and see what happens...

kapo

Reaction score
Don't forget they would have started off with live food as baby axies as they will only eat live things that wriggle. They don't get introduced to dead/frozen/dehydrated/dry food till they're a few months older.

S

shelly

fraggle loves blood worm frozen or live but then eating it doesnt require any effort. with the frozen i have taken to putting a large stone on top to weight it down while it defrosts for 5 mins so it stays in a pile. then i take the stone away and the great white hunter usualy steps in it at some point and realises its there.

kapo

Reaction score
One of my friends uses frozen bloodworm but thaws and rinses it prior to adding to the tank, as the thawed water/stuff just adds waste to tank. He manages to drop the pile in on one of the many flat schist rocks he has with no problem.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1