Hot in california - help!

F

fred

Summer seems to have come early in my area and I'm having a hard time keeping the water cool. i've been using frozen water bottles but its difficult to keep the water at a steady/stable temp. heard about water chillers so went to the pet shop and was told they cost about $300 US dollars. Not sure if I'm getting the right info. is that how much they really cost? anyone know of any other way i can kool the water temp and keep it steady other than water bottles and moving the tank to the ground? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

I used to have toads and I'd open all the windows, close the curtains and put fans over the tank. This used to cool my little chivvies down.

There have been some talk about cooling tanks down so I'd try and look for the posts.

It's *really* hot in Finland in the summers so I expect I'll have to get air conditioning or a water chiller. I hope they sell water chillers here in Finland although I'm sure I could always order one. It's just coming into spring here and it's +10 degrees outside and I have the windows open and the radiators off but still the temperature in the axiquarium is 22 degrees C. Not sure why, but it's an okay temperature but ideally I would like it lower.

You can try putting a fan by the take let it blow across the top of the water.

Yes, chillers do cost that much, or more.
sick.gif

For some low-cost methods, see:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml
None of these methods are as effective as a real chiller, the question is how many degrees do you need to reduce the temp, and for how long? If it's more than 6F, and you need to reduce all summer, then a chiller may be necessary.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Paul-Mark Root on Sunday 25 March 2007 - 11:21 (#POST125741):</font>

temperature in the axiquarium is 22 degrees C<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

do you have an internal filter, they warm the tank temperature.

81150.jpg

This is the setup i just made with computer fans. i left it overnight and the temp dropped about 5 deg C. Two of the fans are blowing into the tank and two are blowing air out of the tank.

Does anyone know if this may cause breathing problems for the axolotl?

Also, i bought distilled water from the store to refill the evaporation. Does this water need to be treated or can i just pour straight from the bottle?

Don't use distilled water! I'm not sure why but I'm pretty sure you're really not supposed to use it. You can just use tap water and dechlorineate it with dechlorinateor that you can get at a local pet shop.

I remember reading somewhere that using a fan evaporates the water too fast and should be replaced with distilled water because only pure water gets evaporated and concentrates other substances in the water. I think it was because of water hardness.

Fred and Lisa, yes, this is correct. Using distilled water to top off evaporation is fine, as it maintains your mineral concentration.

Just don't use it for water changes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back