Ph LEVEL for AXOLOTLS

V

victoria

Can anyone tell me what the correct ph level should be for my baby axolotls the test is reading 7.6 and says that if its below 6.0 then its probably too acidic for most fish.....But axolotls arnt fish!
Can anyone tell me the correct levels for any water tests for axolotls as I have a complete testing kit and want to get it right. Thanks

Hi Victoria....I believe 7.6 is ok for ph. I think early 7's is ideal? but certainly unachievable from my water! Mine is on the high side at 7.9, but I have been told that axis can live in that. As for the others, keep surfing this site, and maybe do a search?
I get mine tested at the pet shop but I am getting the full testing kit soon, so I will be interested to read any further posts!

6.5-8 ish is okay. They're pretty versatile when it comes to pH.

For other tests:
Temp: below 20C if possible
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: below 40

Thanks Very much. If anyone else has further info its much appreciated.
TO EVERYONE.......What do your tests say, please share!
happy.gif

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20-40 (varies between our tanks)
pH 7.4-7.6

Hi Thanks, My test are:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
pH - 7.6

Is it bad that my Nitrate is 0 ?

It's highly unlikely that your nitrate levels are 0, unless you have a heavily planted tank.

I suggest taking a sample of your tank water to a local aquarium shop and having them test it for you. Most of them will do this for free.

My water is rain water, and does have some plants in. I did the tests before i put anything in so perhaps this is why its coming up as so low. I also said it was 0 because the test was completely clear (showing no pink)I don't think I need to take a sample to a local aquarium. I have done the test several times and am doing it correctly. Perhaps the test result will have changed in a week, I will do another next week. thanks

What brand of nitrate test do you use? Curious as we use the FW Master test kit, Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Inc ones, and the nitrate colours are shades of orange and red. 0 being yellow.

Victoria, the tests you buy at the store can be outdated, expired, or otherwise generally inaccurate. I don't doubt that you're doing the test right.

Hi Victoria, only thing I can suggest is do as Joan says and get a sample of tankwater tested and see if its same or differs. Generally small petshops here tend to have outdated/expired or generally inaccurate test kits due to them sitting on shelf for months; sometimes years as they're not in a prominent place and petshop assistants in most petshops don't go out of their way to suggest buying one when you first start out buying fish and/or axolotls (they would make a bomb if they did - as new tank owners tend to buy everything else they suggest which isn't needed!).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back