Conditioning water

A

anton

I've read quite a lot about proper water quality on this forum, but I've got a question on water conditioning about a certain technique about tap water.

I used to set the water to boil, to kill any excess bacteria and evaporate chemicals used in tap water treatment - for use in fish tanks. Is that too much - as it'd kill almost any bacteria that might happen to be left in tap water.

I understand it has to be treated with dechlorinator first, that's ok.

Note that I don't have an Axie yet, I want to make sure I know and have everything needed, before I consider getting one.

Anton, that's probably overkill. Remember that this is tap water, water you drink. So whatever is in the water has to be safe for you to drink.

I run my water out of the tap (I use 5 gallon buckets), and put dechlorinator in while it's filling. I then let them sit for at least 24 hours (usually more like a week, as that's when I do water changes next) with a loose cover.

I see, I won't overdo it then. Normal dechlorinators and a day or two in a bucket should be fine. I'm not entirely too fond of drinking the water from the tap here, but considering the strict regulations for ... well - everything, I'm sure it should be fine.

I ususally fill 3 seperate 1 gallon jugs (the ones you get milk in) with tap water. Then I put a little dechlorineator in each jug and let it sit untill my next cleaning (one week later, much like you Kaysie). pardon my spelling today
wink.gif

I've also found it's easier to refill your containers while you're doing water changes and let them sit, as you have fresh water for topping off tanks, (and in my case) filling small tanks and water dishes, and then you have less water to haul when you have to do water changes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back