Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I need some help

J

jay

I have recently added a knew axie to my tank. I cant hand feed him cause he just ignores the food. Wen he was in his other tank in quaranteen i had a bowl and shook his frozen blood worms until it was all in the bowl. anyway he didn't eat much of that anyway. He was fed earthworms at the petshop but was underfed wen i got him. My other axie gets handfed his blood worms without a problem. My new axie doesn't get a chance to eat cause wen its feeding time the snails swarm in like vultures. Can someone give me advice on wat to do.
Please

heihei

Reaction score
Have you tried something other than the bloodworm, earthworms or if you can't get them then try a bit of red meat )liver/snitzel/heart) to handfed to him. Just cut the fat/tendons, if any, and cut in wormlike strips, about an inch long or smaller.

Have tried feeding frozen bloodworm to my sister's and they won't eat them, they prefer their earthworm diet.

M

mary

yes my axies love raw schnitzel, liver, heart, fish- all fed via a pair of surgical tweezers!our baby axie ( now 3 months old) just started on "solids last month"- was doing the bloodworms til then- he is ravenous all the time!! even eats axie pellets.

J

jennifer

You might need to move the new one back to the separate tank until he's eating well. It sounds like he doesn't stand a chance when he's with the older one. While he's separate, teach him to hand-feed. Then when he's back with the other one, feed the two of them in separate corners of the tank.

I would highly recommend trying earthworms for both of them. Can you get waxworms? Earthworms and waxies will help put weight on him, and it sounds like he needs it.

J

jay

Thankyou all very much. I cant put cookie back into the other tank cause i packed it up today cause we are moving house soon. I fed them about two minutes ago. I led shifter (Older Golden axie) to the other side of the tank and fed him there. I tried to feed Cookie on the other side and he ate some blood worm cube which i am happy about. Wen shifter was sleeping today i gave cookie some pellets in the corner where he was and he ate them all which also made me happy. Wat suprised me today was wen i dropped some pellets in for cookie he ate one out of mid air before it hit the ground lol. Shifter cant do That!! Anyway thankyou all for replying and helping me out. I will try to find some earthworms as soon as possible. I started looking the other day at some pet shops but they feed their axies Meal worms (which doesnt make me happy) The shop where i got cookie told me that they had been feeding the axies earthworms and pellets. I shall try there next time i go to the shops. I think thats the reason why cookie likes the pellets. I also got shifter from that pet shop six months ago when they were feeding the axies mealworms.
talker.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1