River Rocks?

S

sara

My axolotl are growing out of the gravel in their tank, its going to start being dangerous soon so I'd like the start using bigger rocks in the tank. I would use sand but I'm afraid it'll just get whipped up the tank hoover/cleaner thing, plus I'm just not keen on it.
The larger rocks from the aquatics are so expensive and well, oddly tough to find, I 've been tempted to use rocks from the river. Is this wise? If so, what is the best method for cleaning them? I'd also like to build them a new cave as I'm fussy about their toys, which agian, I'd like to use river rocks for.

I use river rocks that are from a garden store in some of my tanks with no problem. I usually place an inch to inch and a half of pea sized gravel in the bottom of the tank on the under gravel filter, covered well by several layers of river rocks to prevent the axolotls from getting to the smaller rocks.

The reason I use the pea sized gravel is to provide additional surface area for the beneficial bacteria to grow on.

Thanks Jacob, you've mentioned one of my concerns, I thought rocks would be a little too easy to keep clean and not leave space for bacteria, but I also thought that gravel under the rocks would be too difficult to clean.

What about sand?

It has to be by far the most effective and safest substrate for axie's!

Just a thought.

Regards Eastern_axle

Yes, sand is also a good substrate. I have been using large rocks as a substrate in most of my tanks with no problems.

I used to use river rock in the past and now I use sand and other substrate because I do planted tanks.

I have had no problem with the river rock or with sand. Infact I leave a little rock pile of river rock in one of my old sand tanks and axolotl like to rest on it. They do seem more at ease walking on sand, though.

I'm not very keen on sand, I don't like the look of it and for some reason just didn't get on with it when I've used it in my tanks in the past.
Are these rocks ok straight from the river if carefully prepared before putting them in the tank?

I use sand with some rocks scattered around. My rocks came from a river, I just washed them really well in tap water and boiled them.

I think by far the best would be large or river rocks, sand i am not going to try that because they can swallow it, and i know they pass it through but i rather be safe then sorry!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back