Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New tank plans..

N

nora

Okay!

So next year Im going to upgrade Gonnies 2 footer to a 4 foot! I have a few questions though!

I'm interested on getting him a friend- A male friend- Would this work out (space wise, would there be enough room? How many axies could go in a 4 foot x 18 inch wide tank?)? I'd get an adult if I could, he's about 19.5cm long. His current tank is 2 foot x 10 inch wide.

His tank would be next to my pet mice... Is that okay? I have a tank of girls and they're in a 4 footer too. When I clean them I guess I could move the cage so that no yuckies get into Gonnies water. Would that be okay? Here's my plan-

Bring home tank, wash with water very well (probably hot water, but no soap or detergents or anything!).
Put WELL WASHED 'cichlid' sand on the bottom of the tank.
Fill the tank with tap water and add ACE (water dechlorinator) to the tank.
Place the plants into the tank and surround with large pebbles (so he can't dig them up, the pebbles will be large smooth stones from our birdbath, or ones from the pet shop).
Place filter (Aqua One waterfall filter, I guess medium sized) onto tank and turn on.
Place air stones into tank and turn on pump.
Let run for 3 days.
Do a water test before adding in my fantail goldfish (I actually own them now, they could 'cycle' it for me!)
After a week or two, (doing water tests every 2nd day and recording them), put the fish back into their tank and add Gonzalez + new friend/s to tank. Monitor and do water tests.

How does that sound? Am I missing anything? I'm getting a shelf built into my room so he'd go on that.

Whee this is so exciting!

K

karrie

Might want to put some water from another tank in it. This will help the cycle get going a little faster. Just make shure the water dose not have any sick fish or meds in it. I think you could put 3 in maybe 4 if you had alot of places to hide in. As for the filter I had a water fall. I changed to a fluval plus. You would need the 3 I would think. goes inside you can change the flow if need. I'am not shure about the stones from the bird bath they might have bad stuff on them. I think you should go get new from the pet store. Some one else might know more about stones.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1