Feeling down!

J

jake

im still in the market for axies and i was looking in the pet shop and i saw those poor poor axolotls stuck with about 4 other axies in a bare 30cm by 30cm tank. how do they not get in trouble for that. i mean those poor thing were hiding in the corners. i dont think axies sell very fast , so they must be in there for a week or two. thats animal cruelty.

You should tell the pet shop the proper requirements for the axies and if they don't do anything about it and/or won't listen to you then you should phone your closest animal protection society (don't know what they are in australia- in britain it's the RSPCA, the SSPCA which is the Scottish one etc.) and tell them about it. They should sort it.

i think i will just do that. how can anyone notice that those cute little things were miserable

i went to a pet shop that had two axies and one had only 1 gill left and the other had become bloated from gravel

(Message edited by green_axolotl on December 16, 2006)

I really think it's about time we all started reporting pet shops that aren't caring for their axie's properly.

It's really not acceptable that pet shops do not research their "stock" properly. They seem to forget that what may be to them a few dollar out-lay with a 300% return, is actually a living breathing animal that deserves to be treated well and have a happy, healthy life!

It would take them all of a few hours to jump on the net and do a bit of research. Not only would their animals be alot happier, their customers would be too! At least they could keep their new pet alive, rather than watching a slow painful death from incorrect information.

Sorry if that seemed a little grrrr but the whole topic does make me a little upset.

Regards Eastern_axle

When you see animals in pet stores also keep in mind that some to all of the damage may have occured before the store recieves the axolotls. These animals are typically aquired after they go through a chain of custody that at the minumum goes like this breeder to distributer to pet store to person. More typically it goes like this breeder to buyer to distributer to reseller to pet store. There are a lot of steps that occur before the animals reach the pet store where significant damage and illness can occur.
This doesn't include all of the times the animal was shipped and also keep in mind that the animal is often not fed during this process and maybe cooled up and warmed down multiple times. Due to the way amphibians work, it is possible for the damage that happens during shipping etc to not show up for several days which could be why when you stop by one day the axolotls look fine and a few days later they look terrible. This is also commonly seen in newly imported Cynops orientalis, where limbs and sores may manifest themselves several days to more than a week later...

There are rare cases where a person who breeds them sells them directly to the pet store but this is often not the case.

Now this doesn't mean that the petstore shouldn't be trying to get the best quality animals and to treat and maintain them in the best quality and health and this is the angle than should be taken when dealing with the pet store.
In the past with permission we have allowed people to print out the axolotl care sheets off of axolotl.org and caudata culture if you have a pet store that is willing to work with you.

Some comments

Ed

im actually making a documentary on axolotls that live in petshops its quite facinating

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back