Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl food

N

nickolas

i used to feed my axoltol only bloodworms but i have heared they like a bit of variety i have since required these axolotl food pelets but i dont no how to feed him with them, i tire to hand feed them to him in my fingers and that works but only for like 2 pelets and if a drop them at the surface they just fall to the floor and he doesnt even no there there.

andrew

Reaction score
I also have had no luck with pellets.

How old is your Axie? Bloodworms are primarily used only for juvanile axolotls because of the mess associated with them.

There are many things you can feed your axie.

Most commonly fed are

Earthworms (highly recomended as a staple) even though mine arn't all that keen on them

Strips of fish.
Strips of meat/heart.
Meal worms.
Wax worms. (treat only)
Live Crickets (gut loaded ones are excellent)
Prawns. (I use fishing bait prawns in frozen packets)
Guppys/feeder fish (beware of carnivorous types and parasites)

And many many more.

I hand feed mine, just wash your hands and take a strip of food and jiggle it in front of them. Its in their nature to eat moving food so if you jiggle it just a little, they will love you for it.

Hope this helps.

S

sharn

you can always get a large piece of slate/ flat rock and drop them onto there, mine took a while to get used to not being hand fed but now theyre fine

J

jojo

on that note.. l fed ma boys earth worms last night and they absolutely loved them! it was so cute!!!!

J

jojo

im really into the slate or flat rock thing too Sharn. I'm glad your axies have adapted to not having their feed hand given to me.. hope mine are as catchy
happy.gif

S

sharn

give em time... mine took a while, i ended up making them walk over there with their walking stick (a knitting needle they follow around)

N

nickolas

the flat slate thing did not work he didnt notice them and even worse they dissolved into te water and fogged up every where, i dont no how old he is the store i got him from saaid he was nearyl full grown and i ve had him for about 7 weeks

C

cynthia

Nickolas - You shouldn't leave food in the tank long enough to make a mess like that. Remove uneaten food with a turkey baster or syphon that isn't eaten within an hour.

S

sharn

nickolas be patient, it can take a while for them to click. youd be a bit confused too if your food got moved from the dining table to the toilet! (just and example lol) youd be searching all over the place. coaxing them over to the slate is an option, i did that and after they associated it with food

M

monique

My axies don't like worms. Buddy, my wild-type, love goldfish, pellets and tadpoles

S

sin

mine hate pellets, although the shops that i purchased them from assured me that they fed them pellets and bloodworms.

Drop some bloodworms in the tank and one spits them out, another freaks out because he doesn't know what they are and the other just totally ignores them.

I've been feeding mine a mixture of freeze dried shrimp, tubifex worm cubes and raw prawns on the end of a set of tongs and they love them.

S

sharn

monique, do you get your worms from the compost? if you do that will be why they dont like them. apparently they smell and taste bad to the axies, mine wont eat them either. sin sister, id try some worms, if they refuse them dont feed them anything until they accept them, it might seem creul but varying their diets will benefit them in the long run

N

nickolas

i tired the slate again sam dea l but i got th food out to stop the mess i then just fed him some bloood worms he like em but ill try to coak him ove r to the mnext time.

T

theresa

What do you mean fish pellets, norman, and where did yo u read this? Curious...

C

charlie

I found a little bowl at the pet store yesterday, probably about 2 inches diameter. I'm trying to put the blood worms etc in there, as well as axie pellets in the hope they learn (and make my life easier.)
Fingers crossed!

E

emil

I feed my axolotl earthworms held in chopsticks. He usually takes it within seconds so it's no hassle. It's good too because then there's no food in the tank. He usually eats one or two per day. He's quite happy with earthworms from the compost but I drop them in water first to get the dirt off. He used to eat pellets dropped down in the water above his head: just snapped them up as they floated down. But he didn't do well on pellets - kept having floating problems. Maybe not all axys can digest them

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1