Crickets

S

sarah

ok i went to a petshop yesterday and they were feeding their axies adult crickets. I would feed mine crickets but im worried about the 2 sharp pointy bits at the rear end of the cricket. Could that harm the axie as they digest em? id be worried if the end bit would pierce their stomach or throat etc.

i buy live crickets, when i get them home i feed them with the gutload food, then the next day i freeze them, when i feed them to my axies i chop the head, legs and spikes off so they can be digested easier (one of my axies is very fussy the other 3 are just pigs) i freeze my crickets because they are noisy, smelly and i rotate what im feeding so i always have them on hand cause there frozen

Hi Denise,
Please excuse my ignorance
but what is "gut load food"?.
Is it grass hoppers that are
fed "special" food?
Cheers,
Chris.

if you buy pisces live food they provide a packet of feed for the insects, you cut a bit of carrot or apple and sprinkle the powered food over the carrot and put it in the container with the live food and they eat it, its very good for the insects and what ever eats the insects, no all live food comes with gut load only insects, beetles and bugs. i feed only pisces live food to my axies because they feed their live food properly

Hi Denise,
Thanks for the information.
I will look for some next time
I am in the pet shop.
Cheers,
Chris.

ok fanx i think ill stick to pellets. i dont have the heart to do that to crickets
happy.gif

Im starting to think about goldfish/tripical food, as i have plenty of that.

are you thinking of feeding your axies goldfish/tropical food???

Gut loading is a little more complicated than that... Correctly gut loading refers to feeding the insects a high calcium diet to correct the calcium:phosphorus ratio in the insect but in the pet trade over the last 10 years has become to mean any nutritious diet fed to the insects.

Typically insects that have been shipped and/or kept at pet store has been provided with insufficient food and water which means that the insects are deficient in protiens, fats and some trace elements. It typically requires at least 48 and often 72 hours to correct these deficiencies. This needs to be corrected before the insects are fed out to the animal if you are trying to provide optimal nutrition.

Ed

:eek:
yeah i was starting to think about feeding them goldfish or tropical fish food. my friend used to feed hers tropical pellets and moths it lived for 5 years :|

i dont know what is in goldfish or tropical fish food but i wouldnt feed it to an axie. your axie isnt a fish for starters and defiantly not a goldfish or tropical either, maybe your friend was just lucky, you might not. please don't feed your axie anything other than axie pellets, carnivore pellets or other food that are suited to them. moths would be okay, i have read some people feeding them to their axies. maybe do a search and find the postings

It's safe for axolotls to eat fish meal. It's basically ground fish (as most fish eat other fish).

But it's most important to provide a balanced diet. Offer various things, like crickets (mine won't eat them off the surface, but do chomp on them if offered), various worms, pellets, etc.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back