Tips on feeding frozen Bloodworm

T

tracey

Can anyone give me tips on feeding frozen bloodworm cubes? Whenever I put them in the tank they just melt before Ugly can get to them and she takes no notice of the single worms floating around in the water? so just end up with an uneaten mess!

If any one has any suggestions I'd be grateful.

Use a bowl! :D
If you get a plain glass candle bowl, rest it on it's side at the bottom, you can put the food in it.
The cube will float into the side (or hood now!) of the bowl, defrost, and sink onto the other side (or now bottom) of the bowl.
'Lotl walks over, sticks head in, munches dinner.

Easy.
I use this technique, and have done with a few 'lotls now, and noted success with other keepers using this method.

Hope that helps - you can find a good one for just 99p at good craftstores or superstores.

Great thanks Amber - will a scotch tumbler do instead of candle bowl already have some of them

Should do - i use egg cups
happy.gif

lol
mine are so pielike that all i do is wave a whole cube of it, or, if its a small axie, half a cbe, and they eat it, coz it defrosts in their mouth!
silly axies

I melt them in a small cup. Then use a turkey baster to suck them up. Use that to slow put them on a small plate that is all ready in the water.

I usualy hadfeed frozen blood worms, First i rinse frozen cube. Then take them in fingers/tweasears and dangle it infront of Mr. Axolotl's mouth.

Mr. Axolotl will eat things by his mouth that moves a bit more than likely. Usually can take in a whole cube, Which is just the darndest thing you can ever see. Not too much extra noneaten floaters.

Ghost shrimp are good at handeling non eaten bloodworms and when they do eat them, they take one at a time, looks like they eating sausages.

OK glass bowl idea didn't work - Ugly just kept smacking into it and getting upset!

*laughs* Bowl idea does take a little while for some axolotl to get used to - Spyyk's still a bit thick about it. Ziggy caught on very fast, and the other 'lotls my friend keeps (which I'm on callout incase of problems) all learned to use it!

Train Ugly by getting her to chase your finger towards the bowl full of food - get your finger into the bowl so she has to stick her head in - then quickly remove your hand.

She'll look round to try to work out where it's gone - and discover the dinner!
After a little while, she'll recognise that food goes in bowl.
At dinnertimes I sometimes find Spyyk waiting for me by it...

I've found handfeeding the cube of blood worms is the easiest and the most amusing way. The cube begins to defrost immediately it enters the water and the worms kind of dangle off it. I've had 2 axies attached to the cube at one time as they try to wrench their mouthful of worms off.

wow does everyone have the same trouble at feed the frozen bloodworm? i feed mine by hand (which i agree is really amusing)but they are like vacuum cleaners. lol. they walk along the bottom with their nose to the ground and eat all the left over bits. they sometimes get it in their mouth when its totally frozen is there anything wrong with that? i cant imagine it being totally ok for them.

*laughs*
Spyyk's often glomped a whole solid cube.

Doesn't seem to do her any harm, but she gets brainfreeze for a couple of seconds.

It'd be like swallowing a big lump of icecream...

Grab the bloodworm cube with long tweezers, put it in the water above Bill's heads and wave it around, then when he snaps - release!

The whole thing disappears into his mouth like magic.

I'm glad this was asked, mine go totally mad for blood worm but get it everywhere, as soon as the lid is moved on the tank they know whats coming and start prancing around, but they rip it up everywhere.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back