Leaving my babies..!!

M

mary

hi there, just wondered how often other people feed their 1 year old axies? i am going away at christmas but will come back to feed them-do you think 4 days is too long? my husband seems to think there is an automatic feeder you can get but that would only be dry food-

Hi Mary ours are a little bit older than yours and they're fed every 3-4 days depending on appetite. If you feed them the morning you leave (or evening before) they shud be ok for the 4 days even up to a week. Only thing would be temperature - but the way Wgtn weather is going, it may not be a problem. If ur able to move the tank to the coolest part of the house and out of any direct light, that might keep it cool if it heats up. What about your baby axie and how long are you going to be away? We're going away for 2 weeks min. Don't know about the feeders but my sisters are sharing axie sitting duties during the period we're away.

i have been worrying about christmas all year!!! we will have to take wee baby with us! he is such a hungry wee cutie now and is snapping crazily at blood worms-
if i had my choice i would just stay home.... mind you were are just going to kapiti ( so just over an hour's drive)....us wellingtonians need an axie holiday home..

If they have been well fed and there aren't any other problems like temperature, then a fast of two weeks or even a little more won't axolotls of this age.

I typically do not recommend feeding the morning before you leave as this allows for both fecal waste and food particles to possibly disrupt the water quality while you are away.

You will need someone to stop by and check the temperatures and make sure that there isn't too much evaporation.

You can always turn down the house temperature while you are away to reduce their metabolism if you are concerned.. It'll just be chilly when you get back.

Ed

Oh how funny Ed! Here in NZ we don't typically control the temperature of our homes to the extent you do in the States. In fact, aside from heaters (gas, electric etc) most of us don't have a switch to turn down to alter the entire 'house temperature'. We usually have no need... although the way the world's climate is changing who knows???

and besides... smiles... it wont be chilly.. we are in the southern hemisphere... Summer.

I thought so too Deb, only a few newer houses have them. Only reason I mentioned moving tank is I know Mary keeps/or used to keep them in the kitchen. If it's anything like our kitchen it's the hottest part of our house; which is why i suggested moving it if the Wgtn temps rise.

yes the family is still in prime positioning in the kitchen- they watch while i prepare dinner and get little treats! what better place could there be for an axie?!!
as Ed said i was wondering about not filling them up before i leave as then they will need to go to the toilet more!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back