Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Clear / white jelly? -help needed-

C

cori

I have just noticed a jelly like substance growing on my filter intake as well as around the out-put of my filter ( i have a hang on filter ) it is mostly clear in colour but has a white tinge, is this harmfull or helpfull?

Regards Eastern_axle

kapo

Reaction score
Any chance of a photo? Just curious, as when my friend's axie laid eggs, he had to clean his filter as some of the eggs and clear gloopy white bit got sucked into the filter and was all the way thru it including hanging out of the intake (he has an internal). Could it be something like this?

C

cori

I don't have a camera that would pick it up well enough,

It looks like it is growing. It's very well attached to the filter intake and some of the plants (live) that are close to the out-put,

It almost looks like gigantic bacteria, quiet globular ( think thats a word ) in shape, Have had eggs before so don't think it is anything to do with that, My axie's don't seem stressed at all. I have done a 40% water change just in case it's a bacteria bloom as the weather is getting warmer where I am.

Regards Eastern_axle

G

genevieve

If it is spermataphore it would look like a clear jelly volcano with a white tip on it, if that helps ;)

C

cori

It's defiantly not eggs or spermataphore, one of my axi'e is sloughing a little bit, but this stuff isn't skin either, it looks alive! he he he

I am going to remove as much as I can tomorrow, in the mean time any more info would be appreciated.

Regards Eastern_axle

A

amber

Sounds sensible.
Dip the plants affected into a salt solution then rinse them down well to be on the safe side.

Obviously don't do this to the filter though! :D

C

cori

I did a major over-haul of my tank, removed around 70% of the water, cleaned the gravel, removed as much of the "jelly" as i could, ( I sterilised the affected things with hot water, not the plants lol ).

Axie's seem a little un-happy with such a dramatic change in environment but they should be ok by tomorrow. Hopefully I have gotten rid of the "jelly".

Regards Eastern_axle

P.S - Some pictures of the "finished product".

73811.jpg

73812.jpg

73813.jpg

C

cori

I feed them mostly red meat ( I buy cuts like - porterhouse, sirloin, occasionally liver ) also feed them fresh fish ( danio's & white clouds )

Regards Eastern_axle

E

edward

I thought that you may have been feeding them fish.... If a dead fish gets caught up against the filter, there are decomposing fungi that rapidly turn it into a clearish jelly mass.

Ed

C

cori

Thanks Ed!....
Next question, How do I get rid of it? It seems to be slowly spreading... This can't be good for my axie's!

Regards Eastern_axle

E

edward

You can break it up and siphon it out. It make take a couple of times to get all of the particles as once it gets going it will feed on extra particulates in the water.

Ed

C

cori

Thanks again,

I have removed as much as I can. Is this stuff harmfull to my axie's or would it be helpfull?

Re: "once it gets going it will feed on extra particulates in the water"?

E

edward

In general it isn't harmful but it is one of the saproligneous fungi that are pretty much found in any aquatic enviroment that feed on dead and decaying materials. If you have large amounts of it in your water and the axolotl gets stressed or injured there is an increased risk of infection.
In addition, it is breaking down the protiens release waste products into the water that help place a heavy bioload on the tank.

It has a sticky surface and as water flows over it particles will stick to it..

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1