Test Readings

W

wendy

My tank has been cycling now for 3 weeks and 5 days, with axie in there, I am doing 20% daily water changes and testing the water. I tested the water this morning (before the water change) and these were the results:

Ammonia 0
PH - 7.0
nitrate - 110
nitrite - 1.6

Are these normal readings for a cycling tank, or should I be concerned that the nitrate reading is so high? I'm thinking maybe I should change a little more than 20% of the water? HELP!

Whoops - how did that happen?

Ok, you can change 35% of the water a day.
Other ideas: if you have a mature tank, swap the one of the filter sponges over. Only one.
Get some plants. Those Nitrates are PHENOMENALLY high.

Anything aquatic will do. If you want a mix collection of plants, email me your address and we can work something out, I'll email you what I have that I can sell.
indigo _ blue _ fish @ hotmail. co. uk

Thanks Amber, I havent got another filter sponge from a cycled tank, although I have a tropical fish tank, the filter in there is the same age. The nitrates are fine in that tank though, so would it be worth still changing it over? I will do a bigger water change and go and buy some more plants tomorrow.

I have been testing regularly, the first raise in nitrates that I noticed was 12 days ago, it went to 50, I didnt know if this was anything to do with the tank being new and still cycling. Thanks for your help.

(Message edited by wendy on November 09, 2006)

I'm now on week 5 of cycling.

After puchasing a nitrasafe sachet made by interpet and adding some bogwood with plants attached, my readings are now at:

Ammonia 0
PH - 7.5
nitrate - 20
nitrite - 0.1

I have also stopped doing the 20% daily water changes as it turned out that the tap water here has a high nitrate content, I can believe that I didnt think of testing the tap water before hand! But it seems that the tank is improving and Gilly is certainly looking great and eating very well.

Could I also ask that once the tank has finished cycling, which I think mine soon will be, how often should I be doing water changes? and what percentage should I do changing?
I'm thinking that I'll use bottled water, as although there is a small trace of nitrate, there isnt as much as in the tap water - Has anyone else had this experience?

Wendy, when you tank has finished cycling (Very soon), you only need to change water once a week, about 20-30%.Keep testing your water, tho.
Nitrate isn't too bad for axies, its ammonia and nitrite that are poisonous. My tapwater also has 20 nitrate, think that's the case in most of the UK. I have always used tapwater, first in my fish tank, and now in my axie tank for over a year. I don't think there is need for bottled water.
Good luck
happy.gif

Sherri, I know that this may seem a silly question, but if the water readings are fine, would you still perform a water change?

Glad to hear that your axies are okay with the nitrate levels in the tap water, I was beginning to think that I would have to go to the local fish shop and buying a barrel of water.

Yes. Trace chemicals such as urine (yes, urine) build up in the water, and can create a nasty environment.
However, your local fish store should be able to supply you with a cheap source of reverse osmosis water - water stripped clean of almost everything.
You will need you do half of the waterchange with normal water to replace essential trace elements, but this should help reduce the Nitrates.

Also, add some more live plants - Elodea is very good, as is hygrophyla for Nitrate stripping.

More than welcome.
Might as well give you the tips, save you having to learn the long way like me :p
If you want Hygro or elodea, I can give you a couple of good stems for free (the hygro is nice and mature, good roots) if you don't mind covering the postage (I'm a student lol).
You've got my email, give me a shout if you'd like
happy.gif

(Message edited by indigobluefish on November 22, 2006)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back