Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Do earthworms cause bloat?

H

helen

Hi everyone, Petal has been floating on and off and judging by all the posts on "floating" she may have had wind. I have not had any problems with her health for all this time thank God,
I think it may be the worms which have been amongst the elephant poo in the vegie patch.
Perhaps the elephant dung creates gas in the worm then passes it to Petal. She also has a new boyfriend the same colour called Stevie(after Steve Irwin.) The temp was 25 which was too high, it is now 22 and she has settled down again.
I panicked and also did a 75% water change.
I have also put in a ledge in case they wish to climb up for air.
Anyhow she does seem fine but perhaps I should try pellets for a while.

J

jacob

I would say to try the pellets, or very gently rub its belly (preferably while it is still submerged) working your way down to the cloaca, and see if bubbles come out. If not, try lowering the temperature, as this works with a couple of my floating axolotls.

M

mikeysmum

Thanks Jacob,

She has submerged and is back to her old self again. They love the little shelf ive put in. They lie on the ramp with their heads just underwater.

A

amber

*grins* I did a hammock style shelf, and Spyyk likes it too.

Try popping a bit of java moss on it - axolotl seem to be built with this obsession to stomp on it.

S

sarah

Ive had back luck with worms in the past, it caused bloat in two of my axies and they almost died on me. I think it also depends what the worms have eaten also. Im feeding mine axolotl pellets, altho the petshop recomended that i dont use these as a long term solution, as they might not include all the neutrients an axie needs. So as a treat now and then as the sun goes down i put my 3 in a container and take them outside, and i put a waterproof light i purchased from bunnings in the container, and the moths and mozzies etc etc land in the water and they have a feast. I do this for about 2 hours 2x a week. They have big fat bellies after this
happy.gif

G

glen

I gave mine earthworms last night and one of them definately seems to have a spot of gas!

How harmful can this be, apart from the stress?

M

mikeysmum

Im sure it must depend on the earthworm's diet.
We had a circus in town and they gave me a trailer load of elephant manure which i put in vegie patch. The worms love it and are breeding in it, i get monstrous worms which are 3mm diam and 3 inches long at least, I gather they are the mummy worms so I leave them to breed more littlies. anyhow back to the point, Petal has never got wind from a worm until she started having these from the vegie patch. It is really stressful for us to watch them to try and figure out whats wrong and beat ourselves up over it. I found when I lowered the temp it worked and she stopped floating.
Im hoping someone can tell us whether the diet affects the worms. I really love the idea from Sarah about putting the Axies outside for some night flying insects. I may try it too, however im worried about the spare tank water, Petal is in a large tank which id never move.
Thanks for the replies

T

trisha

My axies thrive on earthworms from an angling shop. Once I've bought them in bulk I change the soil they are in and control what they eat. I keep them in a tub. I find them a very convenient food with little or no tank pollution. They have never caused gas in my animals.

geoff

Reaction score
Our little dragonettes almost only eat earthworms because if it doesnt move or try to escape their not interested. They do float but it seems to be controlled and when they want to they sink back to the bottom. I dont know if this helps.

M

mikeysmum

Yes I agree, earthworms are great, Petals had them for over a year without any hiccups., so ill watch where we get them from. She wont have any from the rich vegie patch anymore, I can buy fishing worms for $8.00 for a 500 gram margarine container full until I breed some more.
Thanks for your comments.
frog.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1