Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tadpoles?

D

daniel

Ive read somewhere that you can use tadpoles for feeders. is this correct? if so i would cultivate them myself but im wondering if they would be able to be used as staple.

Thanks
Dan

J

jennifer

From the standpoint of nutrition, tads would be an excellent staple, but this is likely to arouse some controversy on a forum like this one. It happens all the time in the wild, but some people will probably be disturbed that you would raise one amphibian in order to feed it to another.

When you say you will "cultivate them" yourself, what exactly do you mean? From frog eggs found outdoors? Or do you have pet frogs that breed and produce unwanted offspring? I ask because tads can transmit disease or parasites from outdoors

D

daniel

i have a pair of common pond frogs in an indoor pond and get a lot of unwanted young.

the 2 i have kept are 3rd generation i have had so im pretty sure they are disease and parasite free.

E

edward

This doesn't mean that the tadpoles are parasite free as there are amphibian parasites like Rhabdias that have free living stages that can not only cause superinfections but infect multiple generations. You should get at least three fecals run on the adults as well as possibly having a couple of the tadpoles necropsied before using them as food source (you may also want to get them tested for chytrid).

If they are clean then they are probably a good food source.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1