Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding my axie

K

karrie

When I go to feed my axie (cracker) I use a turkey baster and let the food drop in front of him. That was the only way I could get him to eat for bit. Now I'am dropping the food on to a plate. My question is. He attacks the turkey baster plants what ever is around him. He really flips out. Should I put in some guppies so he can hunt them. Do you thinks this would help? I would like to get 1 or 2 more but unshure if it is a good idea cause he acts this way. Any help would be great.

A

amber

I discourage use of "feeder fish" as they could bring in parasites and other illnesses, even if you think they may be safe.

Also, you may find it difficult to wean your pet back onto pellets when it's harder to get fish.

There have also been problems with the fish nibbling at gills - not good for axolotls as you could imagine.

Personally, I'd say it was a big no.
Frozen foods are so much easier - they smell and taste good for your monster, and are easy to do if you use a candlebowl on it's side. I never have problems and have a big stockpile in my animals freezer.

K

karrie

I use frozen food. Iam just worried cause he seems to be getting so mean when he eats. Iam not shure its normal.

kapo

Reaction score
We don't use frozen food, but keep ox heart and ox liver strips in the freezer and defrost completely before feeding. Tried the bloodworm cubes recently (only cos we'd got them for the babies when sister's BS Eggs (2 batches) failed) on our axies, and we don't like them (talk about messy!) We would rather stick with good ole earthworms and occasional oxliver/ox heart strips. Maybe he's hungry, hence behaviour my greedy guts Brodie will knock everything down and out of the way when she thinks she's being fed (ie turkey baster, siphon and what plants we did have months ago were tossed out of the way and died). She' shares with 3 others, they just ignore her behaviour even when she walks all over them.

(Message edited by kapo on November 08, 2006)

K

karrie

I feed him every day. About 2 cubes. Do you think he needs or wants more. He's about 5 inches long.Thats way I was thinking of putting some thing in for him to chase maybe.

kapo

Reaction score
Maybe just vary his diet, other than the cubes all the time, maybe see if you can get worms from Walmart or something or even crickets or some type of pellet if you don't like the idea of raw meat strips.

K

karrie

How do you feed them the crickets. I cant find the beef or ox heart.

L

lauren

Most supermarkets or butcheries (here at least) have beef and ox hearts in the meat section, have you checked at more than one of these?
happy.gif

K

karrie

I did every thing I could my dad is a butcher. People around here don't use it. I found frozen beef heart but its minced up and frozen in little cubes and make a really big mess. Crickets would be ok I just don't know how to feed that to him. Are they live frozen?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1