Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Blood worms?

J

joan

They're a good staple. But always try to provide a varied diet. Mix in earthworms, crickets, waxworms, various other soft-bodied insect larvae. Just be wary of the ones with chitinous shells (like mealworms), or with hard jaws that can bite (like mealworms).

A

amber

I also use frozen brineshrimp, fed via a dish.
A combination of brineshrimp and bloodworm makes for a reasonably balanced staple diet. Variety is the spice of life however.

M

malachy

Mine wont eat anything that wiggles. At all. Ever. I have tried worms, crickets, other live fish, mealworms ect and they just spit them out. They also dont get bloodworms much cos they are too slow and the worms have all floated away by the time they get around to it.
happy.gif

I just feed mine all types of meat- they get steak, beef, lamb, pork (although they dont really like it), chicken and the odd heart and liver. Is there a way i can entice them to eat insects and things? One guy from a pet shop told me to just put my hand in, open its mouth and force the food down its throat. I just looked at him dumbfounded.

A

amber

*grins*
That's why I feed frozen cubes in a candle bowl. All the food floats under the "hood" and stays put until chomped.

You can also give individuals their own bowls and "walk" them to lunch.

L

lorie

My axie only ever really eats blood worm unless i run out then she eats beef heart or brine shrimp
happy.gif

Blood worm is very good :D

L

luke

I have bought him a bowl and i put the blood worms in it. They are in an ice cube and float to the top. I just hold the cube in the bowl and shake it causing it to melt and it throws the worms into the bowl. eventually it all goes in the bowl. My little axie then eats it when wanting. It is all eatin within an hour or so. I also give him those axolotl pellets. Just 3 with his blood worms. He eats all them to.
rofl.gif

A

amber

*laughs*
That's why I use the candle bowl - I don't have to worry about it floating off - and Spyyk just sticks her head in the opening.

It also stops float-aways when she mangles the blocks - she can shake her head around inside the bowl - the worms fly off the cubes, hit the sides and slide back to the bottom again!

Makes it easy to clean up any left overs too!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1