Size difference

T

teesha

spot is 20cm or so and trekkie is 30cm, thats 10cm diff or about 3inches diff (roughly). Are they ok to house in the same 2 foot tank?

At that size, they're fine to house together, but I would think twice about housing two adult axolotls in a 2 foot tank. It's a little small.

I have three axolotls. One male who is approx 25cm, one female who is approx 20cm, and another female who is over 30 cm.

The male was placed in the tank only recently, and I have noticed that he does not leave the 20cm female alone. They are everywhere together, and have completely left out the larger female..

I have seen them once or twice get into each others space and nip each other, but nothing serious.

My tank is large though, so as Joan said, maybe think about upsizing first!

(Message edited by Annas on October 12, 2006)

My 6 1/2 inch axie gets on great with my 4 incher. I keep them in a 2ft together, but they are small enough to be in that tank together at the moment. Will soon be getting a 3ft tank.

You shud keep them separated until quarantine period is over. You didn't quarantine Spot. Your first axie pookie died, whether water quality was an issue and/or lack of quarantining which may also have contributed to illness and subsequent death. I am sorry that Pookie died but think you shud be careful and not rush into anything without really thinking about it. I guess you're trying to get in before the breeding season finishes in the hopes they breed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back