Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I have little white bugs in my water!

S

sarah

i dont know what they are but im worried about the axies and if it will effect them. i tryed to take a pic but the camera could not focus on them cos they r too small, so i drew of what they look like on paintshop
68444.jpg

they r small little ovals, some looked like they had 1 tail and some had 2.
They are everywhere!

J

joan

Look like copepods http://fmel.ifas.ufl.edu/imgs/male1.jpg Does this look like what you have?. This is normal, give or take. Do some water changing, and clean up uneaten food/poo. Maybe siphon the substrate more often.

But it's normal to have microorganisms in your tank. Copepods are a pretty normal 'bug' to have. They usually start as an explosion, and then get back down to more managable numbers. You'll probably never get rid of them, and you shouldn't try. It's usually more harmful to try to get rid of them than it is to just live with them.

J

james

I had some of those in my tank, Or something extremely similar, They came when I put some new plants in my tank, I used a bit of Methylene Blue and did some water changes and I never saw them again.

But like Joan said they seemed to reduce in number by themselves. And they never seemed to bother my Axolotl anyway.

S

sarah

yes joan thats what i have. if they dont develop into anything nasty i wont worry too much.

J

joan

That's the adult stage you're seeing. They don't develop into anything else. Unsightly, maybe. But definately not anything to freak out about.

J

joan

Copepods can be predatory. Larger babies may be able to eat them.

A

amber

Don't worry, we all get them from time to time.
The only sort you want to watch out for are the ones that transform into anchor worm, but that's fairly rare.
I've only ever had it happen once in my tank.

You can use Parazin P to kill off copepods and anchor worm without harming your filter or axolotl, however, it WILL kill any crustacean/shrimps.
I used it with great success, and you can buy tablets from any good aquatics store.

F

forrest

woudlnt it be easyer to buy a fish that eats those then the axolotl will eat the fish eventualy?

a guppy comes to my mind.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1