Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Live snail in tank?

M

mary

Hi there, just wondered if anyone had ever successfully had a big snail living with axies?
my friend bought one to live in her goldfish tank. I thought it would be great to keep the walls clean but then wondered if the axies would try to gobble it- such a slow moving snail would surely not be prey?

L

lorie

My axie has snails in with her. She doesn't try to eat them or anything coz i keep her well fed lol.

J

jennifer

Many people have kept axies with large snails. However, here is an old post that illustrates the risk. I have no idea if this risk is large or small, but i have heard of something similar happening with a newt also.

"I recently acquired 4 axolotls. Ranging from 1 1/2" to 2 1/2". I also raise apple snails. Apple snails have an operculum or door to their shell that they retract inside when they pull in their foot. The operculum is made of the same material as the shell and therfore
hard with sharp edges.
After settling the axolotls into their tank with a few apple snails, I left them alone for about 30 minutes, and when I returned, the largest axolotl (also my only leucistic) had its head inside one of the snails. This particular snail was around 3" in diameter. What probably happened was that when the axolotl investigated, the snail tried to close up into its shell.
Well I pulled the shell open enough to get the axolotl out and the operculum had cut its throat, of course killing my axolotl."

Text taken from:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/7618/11821.html?1079283121

A

amber

At the moment, my axolotl is living with a snail.
Besides being an object of interest, they've shown no aggression to each other.
Mind you, the apple is a Brig, only 1" wide.
Cana apples are MUCH bigger, and have sharp teeth to boot.
(I do own one, Big Momma, and believe you me, being chewed by a 3.5in monster is NOT fun.)

The only problem I've had with snails so far is when I kept Malaysian Trumpets in with the 'Lotl - the Malaysians like meats, and tried to bite her tail.

I removed them to my snailtank, and I've not had problems since.

M

mary

that poor Axie having cut its throat!!! we had a shell with sharp edges ( unbeknownst to us) - until the axie went inside the shell and scraped a big chunk out of its tail- has never grown back fully..

S

shaun

My axies are in with an apple snail. They bit off it's antennae, but apart from that, they get on fine. If It becomes a nuisance, I'll put it in with my fishes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1