Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cycling finished soon?

R

rickard

The current stats are:

Ammonia: 0.6
Nitrite: 1.8
Nitrate: Havent checked yet..

Well, can anybody give me a guess? When will the cycle be complete?

Oh, btw, the Ammonia levels have been dropping lately and my Nitrite has, well, skyrocket!!!
If that makes any difference..

kapo

Reaction score
Don't forget to check your nitrate! You still have a way to go, your nitrite will start dropping at some point and your nitrate will start to rise.

kapo

Reaction score
Lorie, it isn't just based on ammonia as an uncycled/new tank starts off at 0 and rises.

Rickard, an ideal cycled tank is:

ammonia 0ppm
nitrite 0ppm
nitrate 20-40ppm (can be slightly higher sometimes)

So as your ammonia drops back down to 0, your nitrite will also start doing the same (one hopes) back to 0 and the nitrate will rise. That's why I said you still have a way to go :D

R

rickard

Well, I know how the tank water should be. But how long could it be left until the nitrite starts to drop and eventually diseapears!? My ammonia is now 0 but my nitrite has been for like aprox 2.0 for a week. STEADY. So.. yeah. How long can it be? One week? Two weeks? I really hate to have my little loved one in a spare, small tank with nothing but water. =(

(Message edited by Ikuinen on September 07, 2006)

(Message edited by Ikuinen on September 07, 2006)

R

rickard

Here´s a little picture that will show you the levels.
70022.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1