Meal worms

D

denise

hello everyone, havent posted for a few weeks but meanwhile my son bought me a new axie for my birthday, he is currently in quarantine but he hasnt eaten for 2 weeks and is getting very skinny. i have tried everything but to no help but for the first time today he was interested in food but it was a very small meal worm, i cut the head off but it is too small to peel the shell off. i rang the pet shop and they said all they feed their axies is meal worms (even though i have told them about the dangers of a diet on meal worms) now that i have found that this is all he will eat i am now worried

Is the temp of the water 16 degrees c?
Feed your axie blood worm its easier and they love it.
Is the cureent really stong that can stress them out.
Test the water and see if there's anything wrong with it. Your store can do that for you. Just take a sample of the water.

have got 3 other axies that i have had for 2 years so im not new to keeping them but its just this new one that is a fussy eater, was just wondering if anyone has fed there axie on a diet of meal worms only and if so was it okay

i used to feed mine predominantely meal worms coz she would spit earth worms out coz they squirmed. She's totally fine, you just get bits of exoskeleton in her poos, but i've thought of it as axy "fibre". She's really good atm, getting fat with eggs, I have managed to get her to eat a few worms as she is larger and the squirming doesn't worry her too much. I am about to start feeding her blood worms, shouldn't be too tricky!
hope all goes well and he fattens up!

lol mines never eatten them haha! She just eats bloodworm and sometimes brineshrimp and beef heart.

she ate the blood worms, but its messy, she leaves the strays on the floor to rot and i have to clean it out straight away. I put in 3 feeder fish yesterday and only one made it thru the nite. My mum was very dissapointed!! she got attached!

LOL!!! I wouldnt put fish in there anyway. Axies like fish ^_^

Fish can have lots of nasty side effects - parasites, the bones sometimes, and they might even nibble on the axie!

When I get a picky 'Lotl, I start them off with live bloodworm. I use a pipette to pick out just the very best, fattest and wriggliest ones, and pop them in one by one.

Axies can't resist!

THEN - I defrost some frozen, pop it in, and hide two big fat live ones in the middle.
The axie goes nuts hunting out the live ones, and invariably eats most of the frozen.

Then you just reduce the live ones, day by day.

Within three days, I got Ari weaned onto frozen.

Thumbs up!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back