Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help- things not right..

M

mary

hi there, i don't know how much water to change in our axie tank- there seems to have been a distaster over night and it is full of "<font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font>" and possibly regurgitated food- the axies haven't really been eating much which is very unlike them. i have already removed heaps of stuff but now there is tiny white particles floating and the water still looks murky. any suggestions?

J

jennifer

Do you have a filter? What is the tank volume?

As long as the tank still has floating crud, keep doing large water changes, up to 50% of the tank volume.

At the next feeding(s), I'd suggest watching the axies while they eat, putting in small amounts of food. When they start to lose interest, stop adding food. Then remove any uneaten food right away.

M

mary

Hi there Jennifer, thanks- erm no i am still procrastinating on the filter- for some bizarre reason i feel unsure of getting one. The wee axies grabbed a piece of liver each tonight and last nite so that was a good sign! the water tests neutral (pH)now- it was light green ( around 6.6 tops0
we have ants at present and i have put bait in cupboards- the odd ant has found its way into the tank- wondered if that ant had a wee bit of bait in its mouth whether that could taint the water!!?? Also i used the wrong bucket for the last water change instead of my special axie water only bucket so that may have made the water slightly acidic.

M

mary

i now know what "wrong" now- the axies have become teen parents....eggs laid yesterday- i think the mummy was off her food coz she had morning sickness...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1