Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Disgusted

andrew

Reaction score
I went into the pet store where i got my axolotl from this afternoon ( I have a golden albino ) I found a black axolotl's sitting in the back 2 corners an some big fish ( not sure of type ). I then looked closer and almost on the surface was another golden albino, hanging onto the air tubing. It appeared to have had most of its gils eaten off and what were left had white stuff on them... I called the lady over and said it doesnt look at all healthy and she said "it looks like we will lose him.... I will have to leave the tank a couple of days to see if there is a water problem and if the others are affected"

Does anybody not agree that that is disgraceful?

L

lee

Some pet store staff don't know much about axolotls. Sometimes they just rely on what customers tell them. Perhaps you should try to impart some of your knowledge on her, in a sensitive manner, I guess. I have come across staff in pet stores who know heaps about axolotls and some who don't know much at all. I guess it just depends where your interests lay. But still they shouldn't allow for their pets to be eaten or anything...
sad.gif

andrew

Reaction score
I was once again, today, in the same pet shop and too my ammazement (not) there was a wild type, one black axolotl and a golden albino in the same tank which was ok; but still there were, i think, goldfish in the same tank and as a result, all three had no or very little gills remaining... I was so angry, but didnt want to tell the old bag how to do her job. Do axolotls grow their gills back or is it only limbs and stuff?

J

joan

They'll regenerate all parts of their body that are not necessary for immediate survival, including internal organs.

By all means, POLITELY tell 'the old bag' how to do her job. If they're receptive, explain that it's not an optimal setup for axolotls. And don't 'rescue' them. This only encourages them to get more.

S

shaun

At my local Dobbies, I saw an axie in a tank with a fair amount of fish (don't know what types of fish- I was too interested in the axie) and it was absolutely fine. It's gills were fine, no limbs or toes missing PLUS the guy knew tonnes about axies. He was a bit weird though...

J

joan

Shaun, some fish are not nibblers. Most are. Just because the axolotl looked fine doesn't mean it wasn't stressed or wouldn't be stressed in the near future.

A

anna

Im with Joan on telling the woman some interesting and vital facts. The pet shop near my house has axies which are on gravel and when I was talking to the lady about my axie not eating she told me one of theirs wasnt either. I suggested that if they eat gravel it can get stuck and stop them from eating and by the end of the talk she had pretty much decided to remove the gravel, especially after she had the idea that they could find their food better on a bare floor (which I fully agreed with). She doesnt know everything yet but I know she has been trying to research. Sometimes they just need prompting.

S

shaun

Joan, the axie's tail wasn't curled and gills were light (was a leucy) and the thermo said 18 degrees celcius, so it definately seemed fine.

J

joan

Those are not the only signs of stress. Some axolotls can be quite ill without showing it.

And how do you know the axolotl wasn't added 10 minutes before you showed?

Mixing with fish is a bad idea, no matter how good it looks at the pet shop. It is often very difficult to maintain a tank with the proper parameters for both fish and axolotls.

It's also often difficult to keep axolotls from being chewed on by fish, as axolotls have no natural defenses from fish. They come from fishless waters. Having fish in their aquarium is unnatural.

S

shaun

The guy said that the axie had been in the tank for a week and a half, and most of the fish three weeks, so it may just be well-fed fish and axie, but I suppose you're right about the situation.

V

vanessa

Oh dear god. I had the same months ago, I went to a Aquarium Shop and I saw a dead little axie, others had the same fluffy fungus that killed my Dragoon and Dragooni. I called the man over and he went "Oh, we'll get that out" But when I came back the next day, it was still there.

It's just horrible.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1