Hungry axie

C

chiika

My axie eats HUGE amounts of food, she eats 4 times as much as she's meant to then about half an hour after she's finished she starts sniffing round the bottom of the tank for anything she might have missed. Is it just that I'm under feeding her? I feed her twice a day because shes always hungry. She seems healthy, nice cold water, but she has a voracious appetite.

how old is your axie? if its adult then you should only be feed it every other day. if its still juvinile then daily is fine. axies will eat lots because they are opportunistic feeders. meaning that they will eat as much as they possibly can just incase there food source runs out for a while and they will survive longer without food.

What do you consider an adult?
my two are around 8 mths old but over the past few weeks they are alot less interested in food- could it be the cold weather? the other day the dark one spat out a worm and last nite the pink girl spat out some mince. They both snapped at some liver tonite but when offered 2nds she wasn't interested which isn't like her. Their water is a bit acidic too.

definintly the cold weather. here in wellington its like 10 degrees in the water temp. my axies are only eating once a week. an axie usually reaches adulthood after a year but can take longer or shorter. a year would be average though. but i would definintly say that the reason your axies are eating less is the cold weather.

She's only a baba, got her about 2 weeks ago, i feed her twice a day and she's just eating massive amounts. So she's probably just one of those opportunistic feeders that yah were talkin about
happy.gif

Mine used to be like that, but hasn't eaten much recently...

ok if shes only a baby then its very normal for her to eat huge amounts of food. she will be growing very fast and needs lots of food to keep up with this. just keep feeding as you are.

Mine's a juvie and has barely eaten anything in the last six days...

When its hot, they'll often refuse food. Try to find ways to cool the tank.

Chiika, how much are you actually feeding? How old/how big is your axolotl? I feed juveniles under 3 inches constantly. I leave live food (such as daphnia) in their tank at all times. Once they reach 3 inches, they eat about every other day, an earthworm slightly bigger than their head is wide, and when they're 6-7 inches, they eat two or three times a week, about 3 inches of earthworm each feeding. But all of this is weather-dependent. If it's hot, animals should eat more, if they'll accept it. If it's cool, they don't need to eat as much.

I've been constantly battling with the temperature: the lowest I can get it is 20 degrees centigrade, so that's probably why he/she's not eaten much. I don't really want to stick it in the fridge... It has, however, eaten two tiny worms. But that was a few days ago. Very thin now.

you worry when they don't eat- its like your children being sick and not eating!!

um she eats about 4 mealworms for breakfast and then she eats a whole pellet of frozen beef heart for dinner. The guy at the LFS said to feed quarter of a pellet a day. Her tank water is pretty cold. She's about 6 inches long.

mealworms are known to cause constipation if fed too much so a heads up on that one
happy.gif

axies are oppertunistic eaters and will eat as much as they possibly can just incase the food source dries up (which doesnt happen in tanks but its their instincts). your not over feeding her, you are probably over feeding
happy.gif
at 6" i would cut back to once every 2 days or so.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back