Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axies on holiday

V

valerio

Hi everybody, I'll be on vacation for almost four weeks in August and I don't know anybody who could take care of my two adult axies. They are hosted in a 50 lt. aquarium at the moment. I was thinking to move them into two separate smaller tanks supplied with an airstone and put the paraphernalia in the fridge. Do you think that this could work? In theory their metabolism should go down quite a lot, so they neither will starve nor get the water polluted by poo. Any suggestions/comments? Thanks!

(Message approved by ed)

E

emily

If they are in the fridge, I'm pretty sure they still need daily water changes. But just to be sure, I'd wait for a second opinion

kapo

Reaction score
They would still need full daily water changes if they were in fridge (their water would foul pretty quickly; especially in the first few days of being in the fridge - unless maybe you could have a filter running in the smaller tanks within the fridge somehow). Are you able to get someone to come in and feed them (or if they are in the fridge - do the daily water changes) or leave them with someone who could look after them while you're away?

V

valerio

I can't get anybody to watch after them; this is the reason why I came up with the fridge option. And what about leaving them in their tank with filter but without food for four weeks? Will they starve? Water T is 21-23°C right now. I can feed them a bit more in the weeks before I leave.

(Message approved by ed)

L

lorie

Is there no one who could just pop in just to change the water at all?
Coz if you keep it in the fridge thats really all that will need to be done.

S

sharn

they could last the month without feeding, i wouldnt reccomend it if theyre healthy though and at 23C your boardering on dangerous with temps. its going to be the water quality that you will find will be the biggest problem, a month without a water change is going to have very high nitrates which is bad for them.

i am unsure where you live but we have pet sitters over here in NZ, they mainly do out of water animals but im sure they would do axies if you told them how to. do you have anything like that where you live? it obviously costs but i spose it comes down to whether you want to risk coming home to find their tank icky and them sick or possibly dead
sad.gif

M

mary

yes i am stressing too- about leaving my babies over christmas- hubbies thinks they would be ok with a autofish feeder- but these are only really for goldfish aren't they? i have never found pellets that the axies can actually fed themselves with anyway.
how do you think they would travel in a car for 1.5 hours?

S

sharn

where abouts are you mary? i know of axie keepers in tauranga, auckland (north shore) and wellington that may be able to baby sit.

i beleive those auto feeders wont take the large pellets we get in nz for axies.

they would be fine in a car for 1.5 hours, ive bought two from auckland to here (3 hours drive). but then you have to take filters and all that junk with you, might be a bit of a mission. how long are you going away for?

J

jenny

Last year I aquired 2 baby axolotls just before I was going on a 2 week holiday, I therefore Decided that they would stand a better chance coming with me than being left in my neighbours care. They were packed seperate and in a small picnic bag with 2 freezer thingys and tarvelled 4 hours with me, spent 2 wks on hol and travelled back fine, I wonder how many other people take axys on hol Lol.

M

mary

to Sharn- i am in Upper Hutt.. we go to Waikawa beach at christmas time-maybe 7 or so days- gets hot there too.

A

alex

hey mary, i live in tawa and would be able to feed your axies for you if you like. 7 or so days would be fine to leave your axies without food.

(Message edited by alex_axolotl on July 08, 2006)

M

mary

hi there Alex- that is really kind of you- will let you know! i am tempted to come back half way through our hol to tend to them. I worry about where to keep them at the bach and also there is only tankwater there that we don't even drink so its not the greatest place. Also worry about how long you can leave a couple of big poops in the tank b4 they make the water go septic! so many worries!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1