Methods of cooling

T

tom

At the moment in England it is really hot and i am having trouble keeping the tank temperature low. At the moment i am using ice bottles and if it gets really hot adding some cold water in a partial water change, although i don't like doing that to often in case it affects the water chemistry, but does anyone know some better ways of cooling the water?

i have a fan blowing over the water, this seems to lower my water a good 3 degrees. you could also invest in a chiller although they are expensive they are very easy to use and work very effectively. you could also choose a cheaper option like making a homemade chiller, there are a few threads about these. the downside to the homemade chiller is they require more time and effort then a chiller.

you could do two 10% water changes with cold water a day if you wished. could do more without upsetting anything as long as you used dechlorinated water

Thanks, i'll try these. On a hot day what is an acceptable temperature for an axolotl tank. At the moment i can't get it much below 20.5 degrees centigrade.

if it gets above 24C your in the danger zone, personally anything above 22 i consider dangerous. 20.5 is perfectly fine if you cant get it any lower
happy.gif

I can sympathise with Tom !! who'd have thought it would be difficult to keep the tank cold enough in England !?!

I've been using Ice Bottles, making Ice Cubes with the tank water (so they can go straight in) doing water changes and I have a fan on the go !!

I can't wait for winter so I can have a rest !!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back