Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Twitching?

L

lorie

My axolotl keeps twitching then swimming really quickly. I have noticed she's pooping alot. Is she contipated or someting?

kapo

Reaction score
Did you cycle your tank? What is the temperature? And have you tested the water parameters. If you don't have a testkit take a sample of water to your petshop and get it tested. You need to check for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Post your results here if unsure of the no.s/results.

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
My axie does twitching too, but she doesn't swim fast after it.She does it when she is relaxed or even sleeping.It's usually one of her legs that twitches. Sorry, not sure if this is something you should be worried about or not?

J

jason

Alex you said there could be parasites but how could they get in the water ?. my little axies only ever twitched once he swam like in a circle like he was chasing his tail and kinda went mad for two seconds, i was feeding them at the time on live brine shrimp ? i do water changes every day and have never seem him do it again. When you mention parasites i just worry cause im still new to keeping axies
errr.gif

(Message edited by yabbie on June 21, 2006)

A

alex

parasites can easily get into your tank through food mainly. were did you get the brine shrimp from? if your bred them yourself then its very unlikely that they bought the parasites in.

kapo

Reaction score
Lorie, I just reread your first thread and don't think she's constipated if she poos alot. Have you introduced anything to her tank that might have brought in parasites and have you tested your water in case it may be ammonia/nitrite/nitrate irritating her. If she is pooing alot how often do you clean the poo or any foodwastes up- you can spot clean using a turkey baster, saves having to pull out the siphon.

J

jason

I got them from a place called maidenhead aquatics in the little bags with a bit of water in. i have just got my brine shrimp eggs in the post today so i shall be giving that ago
wink.gif

L

lorie

Water's good and chilly. Good cycle etc.

Do axolotls shed skin?

J

joão

well it could be the metals in the water, that cause irritation on axie skin and they get really angry with that.

J

joan

Lorie, what are the parameters of your tank? "good cycle" and "chilly" isn't very precise.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1