Do i need a heater?

J

jade

its winter where i live right now and its getting really cold, and when my axolotl's water temp. is too cold my axie just stands there, doesnt eat and doesnt look very healthy. so my mother said i should put a heater in there, so i did. my axie loved the heater, he would stand under it for most of the day and appeared to be more active and healthy.

but, do i really need a heater for my tank? it gets cold quick.

if the water temp drops past 17 deg i would get a heater and set it to maybe 20 deg. but no higher than that.

i dont think you need a heater at all. the reason for them being less active in cold wether is because it slows down there metabolism. if you do keep the heater in there make sure it doesnt get above 20 at least. but i reakon that theres no reason to have a heater.

Unless your water will go below 5C, you don't need a heater. Just feed less in the winter.

It was more active under the heater because it was warmer. This is not always a sign of good health.

jade i realy dont think u would need a heater in W.A. wer in wa r u??

jade my aquarium chiller is always running at 16 degrees all year round and my axies are fine

Hi Jade, I live in Queanbeyan, right next to Canberra and its icy here -5 at night and 2* during today!! Ive just put a heater in for Petal as her water temp was 10 degrees, Ive put it up to 20 to make her more comfy!!I know she will love it and stay next to it too which must mean they like it so it must be ok for them.
The heater came from my tropical fish tank and someone pulled the heater plug out so the poor fishies passed away, very horrible.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back