Axolotl

N

norman

any ideas why my 6-7 inch axie stopped eatting. lucky if i can get it to take 1 inch of nightcrawler. other 2 in same tank eat like pigs so did this 1 but quit eatting and getting skinny

How long has it been not eating? Sometimes axolotls can get very picky and stop eating for a while. Mine have stopped eating for up to a month. Keep offering various foods.

wow for a month. axie looks alright just wont eat and getting skinny

Norman, it appears that you have 2 user IDs. Please delete one of them (if you didn't already, I didn't check).

If the axie is getting noticably skinny, you have some reason to be concerned. What is the water temperature? Any chance of ingested gravel? Does this animal get harrassed by the other two?

Hi Norman, I got your email, but my reply to you bounced.

Go to the link called "edit profile" (in the links at the upper right on the forum page). Enter your username and password. At the bottom of the profile page is a link for deleting the profile. When you change your e-mail address, you just update your profile, no need to make a new one. Thanks!!

must be just something wrong with him other 2 are fat and happy. plain aquarium with bare bottom. you cant over feed a axie can u

You can overfeed an axie. They're opportunistic feeders, and they don't know when they're full, so they'll just keep eating.

However, you can usually tell if you're overfeeding. The axie will be unusually fat and if you're overfeeding A LOT then the fat will begin to store in the axie's tail, which should be fairly noticable I would assume.

my biggest 1 is only big in the belly area about 10 inches long tail is thin

my axalotl hasnt eaten in 8 days :'(
im getting worried
and its getting really hot now so i think thats it but i dont know what to do

the heat would most likely be the problem, see if you can cool it down a few degrees and see if its more willing to eat then

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back