Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help- need to upsize tank

M

mary

Hi there, i really have to get a bigger tank urgently- have found one that is better than my tiny "nursery" tank but want to get the water input right. I decided to stockpile some filtered water in a bucket now- with a wee bit of "dirty" axie water in it. When i get the tank on the weekend i can put all the old tank water in it plus the bucket water- does that sound right- any other suggestions? I am going to get a new tank- would people clean it and what with?
thanks!

E

emily

If your looking to start your tank off and cycle it a bit quicker, you can use filter wool from an established filter. Its also helpful to use some (if not all) of the substrate from the tank you are using now. When i got my new tank i cleaned it with a bit of warm salty water, then i rinsed it out well to make sure the salt was gone. Does this help??

M

mary

hi - the kids are in their new tank!!- prob half filtered water and half old water- hope this will be ok!

E

emily

Thats so exciting, i remember getting my big tank. I'm sure it'll be fine, just keep an eye on the parameters. I hope all goes well.

M

mary

gawd- i think i kinda stuffed up- the tank is too tall- only 3/4 full with water and it seems full enough. Any higher and i can't get my tools into the bottom of the tank without getting wet!!! impulsive buying. What height are other people's tanks??

kapo

Reaction score
Our tank heights are 40 and 50cm. What size is yours?

E

emily

i find my tank is high when i have the hood on. I usually have to stand on a chair to pour water in with water changes because i cant lift the bucket high enough. I think my tank is 20 inches high, but with the hood on it would be probably 25-26 inches. I have a reasonably sized stand too which adds to the height. I'm always standing on tipy toes and reaching in as far as possible to touch the bottom when i plant plants and stuff. I believe there are items available like pincher things that allow you to grip plant at the end of a tool and plant it in the ground. I think you can get different attachments too.

kapo

Reaction score
Our tanks sit on very sturdy wooden drawers (about 80cm high). We just use a plastic jug/scoop to add the water to the tank. Hubby wudn't be too happy if I stood on a chair to empty the bucket and fell on the tanks!

S

sharn

my tank is 40cm high but only filled about 30cm, its easy to get into though as its on the floor :p

you dont have to fill it right to the top, theoretically you only really need enough to cover an axie (like 10cm) but you know the whole 'more water is easier to manage' thing. i find mine also swim at all heights when they get in the mood, gives the lazy bums some extra exercise when they swim to the top for air to lol.

M

mary

hi there- thanks for helping ease my worries- my tank is 37cms but i have only filled it about 25cm coz i think they would freak more if it was any bigger- the other tank was sooo small. I have to say my black boy seems to love swimming around in it, pink girl seems a bit nervy still.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1